Cancer mortality statistics
There were 159,178 deaths from cancer in the UK in 2011.
- There were 159,178 deaths from cancer in the UK in 2011.
- 169.9 people per 100,000 of the population died from cancer in the UK in 2011 (European age-standardised incidence rate).
- Cancers of the lung, bowel, breast and prostate account for almost half (47%) of all cancer deaths in the UK in 2011.
Stats, info and publications
See our Key Facts for a summary of the main stats and information.
Download our publications about these statistics:
- All cancers combined Key Facts
- Cancer Statistics report: Mortality UK (December 2013)
- Cancer Statistics report: Cancer incidence and mortality in the UK for the 10 most common cancers (January 2014)
- Data Table: Cancer deaths and rates by country in the UK (January 2014)
- Data Table: Cancer incidence and mortality rates in the UK (January 2014)
- Data Table: Cancer cases and deaths in the UK (January 2014)
Use our local cancer statistics tool to find and compare statistical information and intelligence about cancer in areas across the UK.
The latest mortality statistics available for all cancers in the UK are 2011. Find out why these are the latest statistics available.
ICD codes for mortality of common cancers are detailed within the types of cancer content.
Socio-economic variation statistics were calculated using mortality data for two time periods: 2002-2006 and 2007-2011. The 1997-2001 mortality data were only used for the all cancers combined group as this time period includes the change in coding from ICD-9 to ICD-10. The deprivation quintiles were calculated using the Income domain scores from the Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) from the following years: 2004, 2007 and 2010. Full details on the data and methodology can be found in the Cancer by Deprivation in England NCIN report.
Specific questions and answers about some of Cancer Research UK's statistics and information and explanations on terminology used for statistics and reporting of cancer, and the methods used to calculated some of the statistics are also available.
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team