Decorative image


Surgery is the main treatment for vulval intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN) and for vulval cancer. The type of surgery you need depends on where the VIN or cancer is in your vulva.

About surgery

Find out about how your doctor decides which surgery you need, the different types and about how to get the support and help you need.

Surgery for VIN

Vulval intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN) is a skin disease where the cells on the surface of the vulva are abnormal and could change into a cancer. Find out about surgery for VIN. 

Removing the cancer

The surgery you need depends on how big the cancer is and how much of your vulva is affected. Find out about the different types of surgery.

Going into hospital

Find out about what you need to take in, what to expect and how to prepare to make it less stressful.

Preparing for surgery

Find out about what happens before surgery, the people you’ll meet and the exercises you need to do.

On the day

Find out what happens on the day of surgery, including about having an anaesthetic.

After surgery

Find out how you’ll feel immediately after your surgery and about getting over surgery.

Problems after surgery

Find out about physical and psychological side effects you might experience after having surgery for vulval cancer.

Last reviewed: 
16 Mar 2016

Information and help