Decorative image

Getting diagnosed

You usually start by seeing your GP. They will examine you and might refer you for tests or to a specialist. If the tests show that you have cancer, you have more tests to find out how big it is and whether it has spread. This is called staging.

Seeing your GP

What happens when you see your GP and how to get the most out of your appointment.

Referral to a specialist

Your GP should arrange for you to see a specialist if you have symptoms that could be due to vaginal cancer.


Find out why there is no national screening programme for vaginal cancer.

Test to diagnose

First you have a pelvic examination to check the inside of your vagina. Your doctor may take samples (biopsies) from any abnormal looking areas.

Tests to stage

The stage of cancer means how big it is and whether it has spread.

Last reviewed: 
30 Sep 2015

Information and help