Decorative image

Getting diagnosed

Your GP will ask you about your symptoms including what they are, when you get them and whether anything you do makes them better or worse. They will decide whether to refer you for tests or to a specialist.

Occasionally people may be diagnosed with hairy cell leukaemia during tests for something else.

Seeing your GP

What happens when you see your GP and how to get the most out of your appointment.

Referral to a specialist

Find out when GPs refer people to see a specialist for hairy cell leukaemia.


Tests for hairy cell leukaemia include blood tests, bone marrow tests, ultrasound scans and CT scans.


Read about why there is no screening programme for hairy cell leukaemia.

Last reviewed: 
21 Apr 2015

Information and help