How long to recover?

Hello - my aunt was diagnosed with anal cancer in December - she is 69. It is stage 2. SInce then she has had one round of slow release chemo and was hospitalised for most of it.

The morphne and Codine made her very confused and her platelets and white blood count went so low. She was also covered in a rash and sore legs and ulcers all over her mouth and throat. She also had to have radiotherapy every day and that has now finished. The doctors won't give her the second round of chemo. (I am not sure why)

They say that as she was so ill - they are hoping for a full cure.

She is now home but cannot walk or move well, is in huge pain with burns on her skin - and the pain killers mean she cannot speak and sleeps most of the time. She has lots so much weight and cannot even drink much

My question is this. Is the treatment often this devastating?

And is the recovery very slow like this?

How long after treatment finishes does it take people to recover - even a little? (I appreciate everyone is slightly different).

At this point - it is 7 days after her final radio and 3 weeks after the final chemo - she does not seem to be getting any better at all.

I am not sure how they can say she is cured until she generally gets better and can have a scan. 

I've been lucky enough to not have known anyone go through this kind of treatment in the past - so I am not sure if this level of illness due to the treatment is all part and parcel of what happens before recovery.

Many thanks everyone in advance

• Hello Danny77 

You seem genuinely very concerned about your aunt which is really lovely to see and I am sure she appreciates you wanting to find out more about her treatment and her recovery. 

We have detailed information on our website on anal cancer which you can find on this page.  It may help you understand how treatment works and the treatment decisions that have been taken.

I also remembered that we have a very active thread by other members affected by anal cancer which you may want to have a look at and respond to if you wish. So I would invite you to check [@Janelucia]‍ 's thread here and don't hesitate to ask them any questions as many on this thread have been affected by the same cancer as your aunt. 

Should you have any questions specifically about cancer or your aunt's treatment, our nurses are also only a free phone call away and you can ring them on 0808 800 4040 Monday to Friday. Their line is open from 9am to 5pm. 

I hope this helps!

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Danny, If you want to message me any question you have I will be happy to answer the best I can.

Regards