Bladder cancer

Hi! My dad has just been diagnosed with bladder cancer, he has a 7cm tumour which has gone through to the muscle and has affected several nodes in the pelvis. They are saying it can’t be cured, however are going to start treatment to prolong his life, but won’t say for how long. Is there anybody out there with a similar diagnoses with any information they can give us, as it’s the not knowing that is driving us crazy!!! Thankyou.

• Hello Shill095

I am really sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis and I hope the treatment to prolong his life works.

Talking to others here who have had a similar diagnosis or who have looked after a loved one with bladder cancer will hopefully help you feel a little better informed. We do have some detailed information on bladder cancer on our website which you can find here. It includes information on treatment for invasive and advanced bladder cancer.

I have also had a little look around our forum and thought I would try and connect you with [@lellykelly1]‍ whose dad also has metastatic bladder and you can read more about her story here. If you type 'bladder cancer' in our search function (which you can find on the blue banner at the top) you will be able to find all past relevant threads on the topic and respond to any that are of interest.

Feel free also to give our cancer nurses a call if you have any questions. Their lines are open Monday - Friday between 9 a.m - 5 p.m on 0808 800 4040.

Best wishes to you and your dad,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, I’m so sorry to hear of your message. I do hope Dad isn’t uncomfortable. Dad had this for a while and if you need any practical tips i’d Be more than willing to help you if I could. What symptoms does dad have at present? My father went through all sorts of complaints and we learnt over time how to help them. Little things like cutting out caffeine, eased the burning pain etc. If you need anything please don’t hesitate to reach out. I’m sure dad has experienced most of the symptoms xx