Dad’s Bladder cancer

Hi, I’d like to ask if anyone has any advice about burning pain in the evenings as a result of metastatic bladder cancer.  (Stage 4). My dad is experiencing a lot of pain particularly in the evenings. He is having immunotherapy as treatment as the chemotherapy didn’t work. He is obviously worried but he is ok in himself but the pain and burning is what is getting him down. I read that bi-carb can help with this, is this a proven thing and if not does anyone have any suggestions regarding this please. I’m desperate to help him xx

• As I noticed you haven't received a reply to your post yet I just wanted to come by to welcome you to the forum, lellykelly1.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, this is surely a very difficult time and I can appreciate it's quite stressful for you to see him for going through this experience.

As you asked for suggestions on how to help him, I thought of a page we have on our website with information about bladder cancer, you can read more about it here. Also, feel free to give our cancer nurses a call if you think speaking to them could help, they might be able to help with question such as the one you have about bi-carb. Their lines are open Monday - Friday between 9 a.m - 5 p.m on 0808 800 4040.

Best wishes to you both,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thanks for your kind reply. I couldn’t see anything on the webpage you mentioned about how to resolve any burning pain which my father is experiencing only in the evenings. Have you had anyone with any experience of this and do you have any tips for anything that my dad could do?? I really would appreciate anyone with any help in relation to this. It’s really the only thing that is getting him down as he can’t sleep with the pain of the burning. I saw on here someone recommended bicarbonate of soda. Are there any practical tips like this that can be used. You can probably sense I’m a bit desperate to help. Thanks for your post Renata x