Tongue cancer

My mum is half way through her radiotherapy. Looking for any tips and advice. Coughing up lots of mucus is this normal? Utterly exhausted, just want someone to tell me this is normal? 

• Hello Louie2708, 

I am sorry your mum is experiencing a lot of mucus at the moment while going through radiotherapy. I think it is worth maybe mentioning it to your mum's medical team and asking them what they can suggest. We have detailed information on our website on tongue cancer which you can access here.

You've joined the right forum to connect with others who have been affected by tongue cancer. You will see that if you type the words 'tongue cancer' in the forum search which is located in the blue banner at the top, you will be able to see many other relevant threads on the subject.  [@Nicola2209]‍ started this thread nearly 6 years ago which is still active and has had 54 pages worth of responses. Don't hesitate to read it and respond if you wish as there are so many others on that thread who have had to go through tongue cancer treatment. 

Our nurses are also available on this free number 0808 800 4040 and you can reach them on that number Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm if you want to talk things through with them. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Louie,

Im sorry to hear what your mum is going through. I’ve been there myself and it really is tough but ghe mucus issue is definitely normal. 

I was given a nebuliser to help with mine but to be honest, it didn’t help much. Maybe worth a go though. I remember constantly (and I mean constantly) having to spit mucus. It was literally every 30 seconds and this lasted weeks. I carried a loo roll around with me everywhere I went and a polythene bag to put the used tissues into! Sounds gross and it was but I remember a discussion on here with the others about the mucus. It’s probably on my thread somewhere - “Tongue Cancer - Diagnosed two days ago” we all had our methods of dealing with the mucus issue, I think one of the Gary’s carried a plastic bottle everywhere to spit into! The musics issue is a right pain but mine cleared up absolutely two weeks after radiotherapy finished thankfully. 

I hope your mum is otherwise coping and feel free to ask any other questions.

Nicola 

• Just saw your reply, so busy going to treatment with her every day. The mucus is like glue. She Carrys a box of tissues everywhere. The nebuliser slightly helps. Good to know that it eventually stops! Thanks