Hi, I am a 32 year old single mum to my two year old daughter and I found out two days ago that I have tongue cancer. I'm waiting for an appointment for an MRI scan and a CT scan which should hopefully be within the next few days and this can find out if the cancer has spread. I then have to have an appointment to discuss a treatment plan but I have already been told that this will involve cutting out the lump in my tongue and a neck dissection to remove Lymph nodes.
It's all such a lot to take in and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that in a few weeks time my life will never be the same again. I have read some horrific stories about what I have to come and I am willing to face any of it so long as I stay alive for the sake of my daughter. I have only told my parents and one friend so far, no piont telling everyone until I have more facts after the scans but I'm concerned at how far the cancer could have spread. I have had this painful lump on my tongue for six months but the doctors kept giving me prescripotions for other things which has delayed diagnisis. I have also had pain in my throat and more recently I've noticed ear ache and jaw ache and neck pain. I'm trying to stay positive until I know more information from the scans but I know I will crumble if it has spread beyond repair.
From reading stories from others on here and other websites, I'm a little confused that I haven't yet been told what stage the cancer is at. Isn't that something that could be identified from my biopsy? How could the doctor be so sure that I will need a neck dissection before knowing what stage it's at?
None of this has come of much of a surprise. I googled my symptoms of a persistent ulcer back in April, before I first went to the doctor and was alarmed to see the word "cancer" everywhere I looked. I had all the symptoms but was just hoping I was wrong. The first two doctors I saw about this reassured me that it was nothing more sinister than an ulcer, which put my mind at rest a little, how wrong were they?! I am just glad that I stayed persistent and kept going back to the doctor about it. I don't think they treated it as an urgency as I don't fit in with the usual risk factors, I've never smoked, I hardly drink and I'm not in the right age bracket. I'm now feeling annoyed at the waiting game. I want to know when the scan will be.
It helps to come on here and read other threads but I still don't think it has fully sunk in yet but when it does, positivity for the sake of my little girl will just have to get me through. I would love to keep hearing stories from others or any advice would be greatly received.