Testicular Cancer

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer today and have an operation to remove my right testicle next week. I found that I had an operation for hydrocele and hernia on the same testicle when I was 3 months old. I have done my CT scans and blood tests today and obviously I am worried that my cancer has spread but the person doing the ultrasound also checked my abdomen and said she's sure it hasn't. Within a span of a day my life has taken a sharp right turn, so I am obviously still trying to come to terms with my diagnosis. :(

• Hello ai_1986, 

I just wanted to welcome you to our forum and wish you the best of luck for your operation next week. I thought I would also share this information with you on testicular cancer. Details in particular about the surgery, and what to expect in hospital and after your operation can be found here

I hope this will give you some reassurance; I know that the diagnosis must have been a shock to you but it is certainly good news that the person doing the ultrasound told you that the cancer is unlikely to have spread. 

You've done the right thing coming on the forum and I hope you will soon be chatting here to others who have also been diagnosed with testicular cancer. [@tommaine]‍ for example posted this thread a few months ago and might be a good person for you to talk to and share experiences with. 

We'll be thinking of you next week - do come back if you get a chance after your operation to let us know how it all went for you. I hope it all goes smoothly and that you recover very quickly.

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Lucie -

Thank you so much for your kind words and the information. I'll be sure to come back and post about my experience for others to read. 

Best,
    Akshay

• The surgery went well and I am on the road to recovery now. My CT scans came clear and my blood tests indicated marginally elevated levels of hCG (11 IU/L vs 3 IU/L?). It'll be a week before I receive my histology results but at the moment everything looks okay.

Thank you so much for all your help! I very much appreciate all the care and support I received on this forum.