Testicular Cancer

Hi 

I wrote on here a few weeks ago about how my husband found a lump on his testical. He went to doctors who said chances are high that its cancer. He was referred for an ultrasound then 1st july he visited urology to give blood and spoke with a doctor who gave him the news that there is a tumour. 

He has been scheduled for surgery to remove the testicle on 21st July. The doctor also wants him to have a ct scan before the surgery. After surgery they will discuss if any further treatment if required. I have in my head that they will take it out and then that will be it. 

I guess I'm asking of other people experiences with the whole process? 

Also if anyone had critical illness insurance etc and had a successful claim. We have that and income protection insurance but not sure whether to claim or not..is it a lengthy process? 

Many thanks for reading. X

• Hi Lou.M

I'm sorry to hear that your husband has been given this news. Understandably it's really difficult time for you both but hopefully the CT scan will bring good news and once the surgery is completed you'll both have a better idea if any further treatment is needed. Try to keep in mind that the survival for testicular cancer are excellent and nearly all men are cured.

I would certainly suggest giving your insurance company a call to let them know. You have the policy in place and you might be surprised at how easy it is to put in a claim. If your husband does need to take any extended time off work to recover from the surgery and any other treatments, it may be a weight off your mind to know that you don't have to worry about finances. 

If you or your husband would like to talk to our nurses about anything then please do give them a call. I'm sure that they will be able to offer some advice and reasurance. They're available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

Keep in touch Lou.M and let us know how things go.

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator