Stage 4 secondary breast cancer

This is the first time I have ever done this as I am not one to open up so here goes.

I am 47  and was diagnosed last October with secondary breast cancer it spread to my lungs and bones. So like last time I put my blinkers on and ploughed through the  6 cycles of chemo then they put me on letrozole and injection but I suffered badly with the crippling side effects s o I decided to stop taking them and they put me on different injections so doing ok so far.

I have not had the best treatment from the start with the nhs so now it has finally taken its toll on me  and the wheels are falling off. It's hit me in the face Im now thinking when am I going to die after being told a year then in another appointment years hopefully so my head is all over the place. I have been referred for counselling which I start this week which I'm sure will help me.

•  

Hi Cashback,

Welcome to our forum.

I am so sorry to hear about your secondary diagnosis and the different prognoses you've been given. I can understand the need to stop the Letrozole and injection. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer 8 and 7 years ago respectively. On the second bout I took Letrozole for 6 years and have had a number of nasty side-effects, without having the injections. I am glad to hear that the new injections are doing ok so far.

No doctor really knows when we are going to die. They may make a prediction  based on the average person, but we are all individuals, so the prediction is at best a 'guesstimate'. There are a number of people here who are living considerably longer than they were told they would and, no doubt there are others who have gone prematurely.

You say that you are not one to open up, neither am I, but I have had great help from others on this site and I am sure that you will too. If you don't want to speak so publicly, there is a private messaging facility, where you can choose someone who you have empathy with and send them a friend request. This means that you can talk one to one privately, which might suit you better?

I hope that you find counselling helpful and that your recent course of chemo helps to prolong things.

Please keep in touch. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx 

• Hi jolamine,

Thank-you for taking the time to reply means alot. I have been feeling very low the past few days but that could be the after effects of my faslodex injections who knows.  Counselling tomorrow!!

Kind regards

Cashback

•  

Hi Cashback,

I shall be thinking of you tomorrow and hope that the counselling goes well.

Regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi cashback. Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of how you've been treated. It's hard enough without having the added stress. I also had counselling - I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and had lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy and 6 weeks if radiation treatment. I have also been put on tamoxifen. I cannot even imagine what you must be going thru with a return of this ******* cancer.

This forum has been a godsend for me. I really do hope counselling does help - at least you've recognised the need and are going to speak with a counsellor. We are all on here to support with no judgements. We discuss all things in life so open up if you feel the need and if not then discuss what you feel like discussing. Check out the forum "the good and bad". Lots of variety on there!

• Hi my partner has secondary breast cancer and has now been given a new hormone therapy faslodex but it's knocking her around, she's been on it 5 weeks anyone know how long the side effects will last 

•  

Hi Shazza,

I am not too sure how long the side-effects of Faslodex will last. I am not medically trained, so I can only speak from my own experience. I have had 2 bouts of breas cancer in the past 9 years. The first time I had a lumpectomy followed by Tamoxifen and the second time I had a double mastectomy, followed by 6 years of Letrozole. I found it hard to cope with my tablets to start with, but you do get used to them with time.

I have had a number of side-effects from this treatment and, although I have now stopped treatment, I still have them. I would expect that Faslodex might be the same. Has she contacted her breast care nurse if this is upsetting her? They may be able to prescribe some other medication instead.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• I've been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer which as spread to my lungs so I was put on pablociclb  which I stayed on for 3 months as well as letrazole and the injection .After spending many days in bed poorly I came off the pablociclib for a break and I felt better so I discussed staying off it permanently and just having the letrazole and injection 

I just wanted to feel normal and wanted quality of life .the letrazole causes so much joint pain in.my knees and hands ..my only concern is to how much will.it shorten my life compared to if I had stayed on the pablociclib. The oncologist cant or wont answer that question 

•  

Hi Nicki,

If your oncologist cannot or won't answer your question, ask him/her to find out for you. Obviously, each indvual reacts differently, so you can only be given a figure for the average results..

When I asked my surgeon some searching questions about treatment, which he couldn't answer, he sent me to see two renowned researchers who were able to give me their opinions. Both were diametrically opposite, but I still found it very helpful in making my own decision.

This is about extra years in your life, so don't be palmed off by the first answer. You need the facts before you can make a decision.

Good luck with this and, I hope that you get the answers that you're looking for.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx