Partner has incurable Colon cancer stage 4

Hi,

I have been reading your posts for a few weeks now and finally feel able to reach out to others. This came as a huge Shock as had no symptoms but we recieved the awful news that it was colon cancer with liver mets and was incurable.

We had had the formal diagnosis and was informed then it's also in lymph nodes.

We have young children and no treatment has started yet, although we do have dates.

I feel so scared and want to arm myself with as much information as possible on the best way I can help and what I can do as feel so helpless.

• Welcome to the forum Susie4010 although I'm really sorry to read about your partner's news.

We have some general information on our website about colon cancer just here but do feel free to give our cancer nurses a call if you'd like to chat to them about this. Their lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m on 0808 800 4040.

There is another member who joined a few days ago whose mum has been given a very similar diagnosis. If you'd like to chat to them and find out more about their story, you can do so by clicking here.

Wishing you and your family all the best at this difficult time.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• So sorry but don’t lose hope. My young son in law survived 8 years with the same diagnoses   Be proactive ,ask questions ,    

• I'm so sorry about your son in law.

Thankyou for replying, I ask questions and write everything down but from having no symptoms up until diagnosis it all now seems to be hitting him.

I'm trying to be positive but when I'm alone I crumble, I'm scared for all of us.

X

• I know this is a really tough diagnosis and a hard journey. My son in law had no symptoms either so yes it comes as a shock. They also had two small children .  He endured many surgeries and procedures but he kept an ama I got attitude and I think that helps.  Just enjoy everyday that you can and make memories.   There a great many new things on the horizon but too soon for our son in law .  Just write every thing down and ask questions.   Good luck. Take care of you too.  

• Again, I'm so so sorry for your family and what you have had to go through its incredibly difficult.

They have said surgery won't be happening but will try chemo and we are trying with the memories when he has the ok days as seems to be in pain alot from having no pain and no symptoms, so that's quite hard to see.

I just wish I could wake up from this because my heart is broken. 

X

• Hi, going through similar so may I ask if their were no symptoms why was there a referral made , or did your partner not feel well and went to GP, I send you my best wishes Chris x

• Hi Chris, 

I meant no symptoms up until admission with suspected appendix, he was all ready for surgery to remove them when the doctors appeared and told us it wasn't that. 

Was all fit and healthy, no need for a doctors in years so it all came as a shock.

I hope your doing well. X

• I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in February 2018. The only symptom I had was tiredness and  it was actually a routine blood test at my annual review that highlighted one of my liver enzymes was high. I have been on chemo now for 16 months.

• It's good in a way it was picked up on blood test and your now having treatment, which I know is not nice but I wish you all the best of health from now on.

• Thanks for that. There are a lot of people that are getting diagnosed with a blood test it seems according to them I have spoken to at the chemo sessions.