oral cancer

Have been referred to oral surgery clinic by dentist [1 week ago ] for an ulcer on back lower gum. Appt made for 1 week from now. Wear dentures and have been a heavy smoker for 50 years [now aged 72 ] Absolutely terrified, tearful and depressed. Guilt over my smoking habits and don`t know who to talk to. gave up smoking over 4 years ago--probably too late. have googled the condition and treatment sounds terrifying. Totally consumed with fear and find it hard to function.

• Hello Farthing. 

Welcome to the forum!

We have a number of members here who have had various different oral cancers & are at different stages of their journey including [@Vatch]‍ and [@Space_1999]‍. We also have a new member [@AliTheFrog]‍ who is just starting out‍. 

This is the link to AliTheFrog's recent post and you might like to post a message on that thread to get in touch with some of the others. 

We do have a team of nurses here at Cancer Research UK that you can call to talk to at any point in your diagnosis/treatment. They are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

in the meantime try to take each day as it comes Farthing and do keep in touch and let us know how the appointment goes later this week. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Farthing

welcome to the forum you are amongst people who have been through what you are now going through

i myself am now 2.5 years post treatment for through cancer and remember those early testing days well .... they are most probably the worst part of this whole process

its the not knowing what we are dealing with

dont look so much backwards it is what it is, having given up smoking will stand you in good stead with regards to getting through the treatment and beyond

there is no easy way to get through all this testing at the moment but my advise is as follows:

1. Don't go looking on the internet for a self diagnosis, stick to this site if you was answers. We cannot diagnose but we can help, listen and give you tips

2. Try to distract yourself, go for walks, get out to the pictures, just do something to take your mind off of things

3. Don't expect all the answers from one session or tests, there may well be several consultancies, an ultra sound, biopsy or an MRI scan .... none of which are an indication of what going on

keep us up to date with what's going on with you too

shout when you want

vatch