Newly diagnosed DCIS

I have just been diagnosed, trying to stay positive as they say once I've had mastectomy I can 'close the door on them'. No mention of removal of lymph nodes but concerned it may be worse news once mastectomy done.  I'm a bit of a wimp (and I google far too much) 

• Hello Jaks64,

A big welcome to Cancer Chat. Don't worry you are definitely not a wimp and it is normal to feel a bit anxious after being newlty diagnosed. Hopefully, you will meet others here who will guide you and share their own experience of DCIS and the surgery or treatment they received. You are right that googling too much is never a good option - although of course we are all guilty of doing it! You can read our detailed and reliable information on DCIS here. Feel free also to ring our knowledgeable team of nurses and ask them any question you may have. If you live in the UK, you can reach them on this free number 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

You are also welcome to join the conversation in this thread where you will meet others who have been through a similar experience with DCIS before.

I hope this helps a little and that others will be along shortly to share their own story with you.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• HI Jaks. Sorry to hear of your news I too am newly diagnosed ( this week) I still cant get my head around its happened to me. I feel i have to google because I have so many questions unanswered and i feel they just sent me away with this huge blow and said come back in two weeks.

• Hi Suzie, thanks for replying. No-one I know had heard of DCIS.  My first mammogram, everyone said it's quite routine for a call back, but not me, no I had to be different!  I can't really recall the full conversation when the consultant told me, I do recall bits and then I think I add more that they may or may not have said and then google, not a good idea. How can a little speck on mammogram lead to this.  I don't know if they recommended what treatment for you to consider, (I've googled all that too, and all the what ifs), my son threatened to hide my computer.  I meet with surgeons on 9th May, hope I don't blubber through that meeting as well.

• I too have to go back on the 9th. I feel i want to sleep and wake up on the 9th- It seems SOOO long. excuse my ignorance but what is DCIS ?

I know nothing of what type or stage it is or how long ive had it. All ive know is I have had rib and breast pain for over a year and i feel fobbed off by the doctors and I feel angry as they never once suggested a mamogram untill there was a physical change in my one breast ( and I saw a women doctor!) I swear to god the male docs up there for paranoid single mum getting divorced and stressed out throw her a load of pills anti inflams and phyiso, I wish I had changed doctors ages ago Like i had threatened. I blame all this now on their late diagnoise ! like you never took anything in, just heared Cancer, Mastetomy. I was crying the whole time there was this silence which seemed to last forever between my mum the nurse and consultant who threw the mastetomy bit at me and without much feeling or care to be honest. he was no English !!

• hi there  im sorry to hear  that u been diagnosed with dcis       well 2 years ago iwas diagnosed with dcis    it was a shock for my husband and i    i know how u feel and what u are going through now    i have had a mascectomy  yes they say that but its not them going through all the pain of it   my name is burnie  {female} if u wish to speak    im hear   XX

• hi suziesuize i know what your going through    i was diagnosed with dcis 2 years ago    its all a blur confusion worry whats going to happen 

• HI, they havent actaully said its DCIS i have now goggled it. all they said was it was a lump and was cancer. I dont know if its a 0 or 1,2 3 4. I AM SO WORRIED ABOUT THIS RIB PAIN  that ive had over a year and complained to the doctors to and been sent for CT scans etc and notihing showed. maybe They shud of done a MRI and defo a mamogram much earlier.  I dont want a mascetomy i dont want to go throu the pain of it.  how long is it before they can make you a new one ? and if they said to me i had to have a mascectomy  ( which they did within mins of telling me it was cancer !) do you still have to have radio therepy and chemo too ?? im so upset at the thought of loosing my hair, its my pride and joy. All in all i dont want to go through any of this and i feel im still in denial this has happened to me ! How are you now Bernie ?

• Thank you both for answering.  Burnie, can I ask how you have got on since your diagnosis,  if you don't mind me asking.   I keep thinking the docs are just talking me through things a bit at a time, I'm thinking way ahead of them and wonder what next they'll come up with after mastectomy, which I've still to decide what type of reconstruction to go for.  My head is all over the place. My DCIS is apparently 8cm and on a scale of 1-10 I am 5, not a clue what even all that means.  It could have been worse news I know but I'm imagining all sorts.

Suzie,  DCIS is ductal carcinoma in situ.  I know I don't know what you are dealing with but if you need a sounding board, I'm here too.

• wish there was an actual chat room on this so we could all talk together x 

• I know, if I keep googling I think I will have read every site I can.  Didn't have a good day yesterday, major wobble. Trying to be more positive today, even Googled  reconstruction now, that's another turmoil.  Hope you are doing okay