Worried sick

I’m so worried. For the last 3 months maybe longer I have been having night sweats, I’m 48 and my gp said this was premenopausal symptoms. So I’ve been hoping that’s what it is, until... I had a large ulcer in my cheek which was blood filled and has now left a huge white mark. On checking I’ve also found others in both sides of my cheeks.  I’ve lost weight (about a stone in 1 month) I have had a persistent cough and also after a bout of what I thought was flu, am finding it hard to swallow, sometimes even taking tablets hurts.  I have also 2 lumps in my neck, one of which has been there for some time but again a gp advised this was just a cyst. I have also for some time had issues with a lot of reflux/heartburn which feels like burning in my throat.  I went back to the gp and was left feeling he didn’t listen to me and my concerns as all he said was due to a bout of stress in November (family issues) that this had caused my sudden Wright loss and ulsers and prescribed a mouthwash!   I wasn’t happy so made an appointment with my dentist. He checked my mouth and said he would refer me to have a biopsy which I guess was all I wanted to hear.  I am a smoker (about 10 a day) so I know I am at risk but just can’t stop worrying.  One of my relatives has had throat cancer and am in 2 minds to have a chat with her but I don’t want other people worrying until I have had the biopsy and I know the results.  Hard to think of anything else at the moment.  My father also died from bowl cancer and was not diagnosed until it was too late.  

• Hello yelloweye1, 

Welcome to our forum. You've done the right thing in getting a second opinion and getting it all checked up by your dentist and it sounds like he has been thorough. I hope you won't have to wait too long for the biopsy. The wait for tests and results can be such a stressful time and it can leave you unable to focus on anything. The best thing to do as many who have been through this before will tell you on the forum is to try and keep busy and focused while waiting for the results and avoid looking things up online if you can. 

Keeping everything crossed for you! 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thanks. I went back to my gp surgery this morning as I’ve felt awful all weekend, almost choking on food and finding more lumps in my neck.. I did state I didn’t want to see the last doctor though and was seen by a lovely understanding doctor who just listened and checked me thoroughly. I’ve been referred as an urgent within 2 weeks ENT so feeling a bit better, had to tell my boss too as I had to go in work time so at least she knows I’ll be going for more appointments.  Still hopeful it’s not C but if it is I’m ready for a battle