Worried Sick

I'm 46 and today visited the breast clinic following a sore, painful breast. My doctor said she could feel something hence the referral. I didn't expect anything more than a mammogram but ended up having that, an ultra sound and biopsy. They mentioned calcification and dense tissue. Does the mean the worst? It all sounded so negative as did the doctor. How can I wait? Feel so alone and so worried 

• Rosy red 

welcome 

my first appointment was same as you but I was told suspicious and had to go back 7 days later I was diagnosed with BC 

In your case lots of people go to the clinic get these things done and results come back all ok I hope all will come back clear for you .

good luck love Lara 

• Thanks for your reply Lara, can I ask.how you're doing now? I know they are supposed to manage expectations but they were already talking like they were sure. X

• Rosy 

my diagnosis was July last year I have now finished everything I go back every year now all clear 

I feel amazing back to my normal self it was a bump in the road for me I continued to work and keeps things as normal as possible.

I now take a hormone tablet daily which are great not as I expected the worst but found them no trouble at all .

im hoping that you will be ok my lovely I really do bless you .

im akways here for a chat or help you if I can in anyway please come here for help xx 

love Lara ️

• Hi RoseyRed,

A very warm welcome to our forum.

I just wanted to let you know that these three tests are the ones most usually carried out at the breast clinic. Even the doctors cannot be sure about your diagnosis until the results of these tests come back. Sometimes they are pretty sure because of the shape of a lesion, but they really need the results of a biopsy to tell them whether or not there is any cancer present. 

As Lara has said, many people attending the breast clinics get the all clear. It is a fact that 80% of those who attend these clinics walk away with the all clear.

Even if it is bad news, this is not the end of the world. Diagnosis, treatment and aftercae have all advanced considerably recently. I lost my mum to breast cancer 24 years ago and was terrified when I was first diagnosed. That was 13 years ago and I had a second bout the following year. I am fortunate enough to still lead a busy and fulfilling life.

This is always a very worrying time. until you get a diagnosis. Have you been told when you'll get your results? 

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thanks Jolamine, it's so good of you to respond. They said about a week or two, I just don't know how I can deal with that.   The doctor did say that it could always be something else when I asked that directly, but the focus seemed very much doom and gloom.  I just can't focus on anything else right now. I feel sick and do very alone.  I guess I didn't expect it to even be a possibility as there's no history, I don't smoke or drink and I'm in good health. I recently stopped taking the progesterone only pill and then, wallop, this. Need to sleep too but I can't x. Love to you and everyone here x

•  

HI RoseyRed,

The way you feel at the moment is pretty much the way we all feel at the beginning. Your results normally tend to come through in 1-2 weeks, but it is a lonely and worrying wait. It is also not unusual for sleep to allude you unfortunately. Try to keep as busy as possible to help the time to pass. If you are really struggling your Gp may be able to help with something to get you over this wait.

Whatever the outcome, you will feel better once you know what you are dealing with. I hope that you hear soon.

I'm hoping and praying for you in the meantime.

Regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Rosey,

I am in the same position. I went to breast clinic yesterday following a referral from my GP. Initially the practitioner said she felt there was nothing to worry about as the lump I could feel was not concerning. She even gave me a fast track discharge letter. She still requested a mammogram and US though. 1st mammogram I had 2 images of each boob then 15 mins later I was called back in.... I thought for the ultrasound however was back in the mammogram room with 2 radiographers having magnified images taken on just 1 boob. I knew there was something wrong. Anyway had the US and the radiographer said there was some calcification but the consultant would review the images. I was literally one of the last to be seen and was told there are clusters of calcification in 2 areas of my breast, completely unrelated to the lump....which is of no concern. The calcification spread is 8cm and she has said it is highly likely it is cancer. I need a vaccum biopsy and am waiting for them to call me to make that appointment......I wish they would ring. I am in disbelief because I just did nit expect this. Xxx I've edited this as when i read it back it sounds very negative. Not all calcification is cancer and hopefully we will both walk away from this qith a good result. Keep your chin up. I'm still waiting for this appointment and patience is not a virtue of mine hahaha xxx