Worried about ovarian cancer

Hi Everyone,

My names Becky and I’m only 23 years old but have been having weird symptoms! A few years ago I was told I have GERD as I suffer with bad reflux and bloating. I was given meds for this which helped but it comes and goes and it seems to be getting worse in recent months. Back in October I was having some abnormal bleeding. I didn’t come on my period and instead it was on and off light bleeding for about 2 weeks. I went for a swab test which came back with an infection but wasn’t prescribed anything for it they simply told me to monitor it and get back in touch of it continued. The bleeding stopped and my period have been normal ever since. I don’t use contraception (bad I know) but I’m a hypochondriac and I don’t like the thought of putting anything like that inside my body!! Anyway, I’ve recently been on my period but in the last few days my lower back has been achey and my right side of my stomach down into my vagina I keep getting a sharp pain. My GERD seems to have worsened too and I’m genuinely feeling under the weather. My period stopped a couple of days ago so I know that won’t be causing it. I’ve been reading many stories recently about young women dying of ovarian cancer and it’s terrifying me. Could anyone offer some advice? This has only been going on for a few days but I’m very aware of my body and symptoms etc so the slightest thing sends me into panic mode. 

Thanks becky xx

• Hi Becky, 

If you're worried about the new symptoms you've been experiencing recently it may be a good idea to book an appointment to see your doctor again as they'll be able to examine you (if needs be) and let you know if this is any cause for concern.

Waiting for appointments can be tough but try to resist the urge of using Dr.Google to research your symptoms or read any more stories about young women dying from ovarian cancer as this will only make your worries and fears worse.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator