Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Worried

1 Dec 2019 22:06

Hi,

I need a bit of advice. I'm 27 years old, turn 28 next Feb. At the age of 21 I was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma in my left breast. I had scans and biopsies done. But over the past couple years it has become quite painful. Over the past few days my left nipple has become sore, I struggle wearing a bra. It looks different to the right one and there is a little bump on it. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

Worried

3 Dec 2019 12:11 in response to Nazzy1

Hello and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear that you are worried about breast symptoms.

Unfortunately, as nurses, we are unable to suggest what the matter is. It is very unlikely to be anything serious, but may still need treatment

Our general advice to any woman who has noticed a recent breast change that persists, is to see the GP (family doctor) and get it properly checked out. Most breast lumps, or other breast symptoms, are very often due to other non-cancer medical conditions, such as fibroadenomas (fatty lumps), hormone level changes, or breast cysts or infection. So the best thing to do would be to see your GP for an examination and assessment. They are trained to assess breast conditions, and will be able to advise you further. 

I hope that you are able to get this health concern sorted out soon. 

Best wishes,

Vanda