Together we will beat cancer

Donate

worried

13 Jun 2018 10:09

hii,

i have been getting kind of worried because 2 days ago i discovored this werid lump under my skin, next to my nipple. it also hurts a little bit when i apply pressure to it... and as far as i know, breast cancer doesnt run in the family. but i find it unusal becauce i am only 14-years-old. what whould i do?

Re: worried

13 Jun 2018 16:03 in response to sophiex

Sophiex -  there is a section on here for asking nurses advise, maybe you should also put your query in that section lovely.

try not to worry x

Re: worried

14 Jun 2018 11:49 in response to sophiex

Hello Sophie and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to learn that you are worried about a breast lump. Whenever anyone contacts us with something that is worrying them we always suggest they see their GP and get checked out to be on the safe side. But I don’t think you need to be overly concerned as breast cancer would be very rare in someone of your age. The majority of women who develop breast cancer are over the age of 50.  The symptoms you mention are much more likely to be caused by ordinary everyday problems that teenagers may get from time to time. This can often be related to hormonal changes.

Breast changes are very common in young girls and the majority of these are not cancerous. As your breasts are still developing, changes may develop and these are nearly always due to normal changes in the breast tissue. But, I appreciate it can still be worrying when you find differences in how your breasts look or feel.

The charity Breast Cancer Care has some information about what is normal at this link. 

They also have some more information for teenagers here. 

I’m sure your mum would want to know that you are worried about your health and would want to support you so please try and tell her. To put your mind at rest, it would be a good to make an appointment to see the GP (and you can ask to see a female doctor if you prefer).  They will examine you and will be able to advise you further. Many people tell us that they feel embarrassed about showing intimate parts of their body with their doctor. But doctors are used to dealing with situations like this and they will not think it is anything unusual. They will also try and make you feel at ease.

I hope this helps. If you would prefer to chat to one of the nurses directly, you can telephone us on 0808 800 4040.  We are here from Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.

Best wishes,

Celene