Weight loss during chemo

Hi all this is probably a really daft question. But is there anything which anyone has.used or taken to slow down.or halt the drastic weight loss which happens during chemo?

• Hello and thanks for your post,

It is never a daft question. Treatment affects patients in so many ways. Weight loss can depend to a certain extent the type of cancer and the type of chemotherapy. 

We have a page on our website about different drugs that are used in some patients to help stimulate their appetite. Have a look here

There can be numerous problems that stop a patient from wanting to eat such as feeling sick, not having an appetite, finding it difficult to swallow or digest food  as well as chemo affecting  your taste buds for  example. 

We have some information on our website about the type of problems that patients may have which you can see here

It is important to let the doctor know about the loss of weight as the doses of chemotherapy are worked out on the height and weight of a patient and these may have to be adjusted if there is some weight loss.

The doctor may be able to prescribe supplements and also consider refering a patient to a dietition if the weight loss continues.

There are various meal supplements and build ups that can also be added to the diet or you could make your own which may help control any further weight loss.

Have a look here

I do hope that some of these links may be useful but you may find it more helpful to ring one of the nurses on the helpline so that we can talk it through.

Our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are here Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

All the best,

Catherine

• Hi,

A high calory, high fat, diet helps. 

Advice from my oncologist was to eat anything I could keep down and to reverse the logic of a weight loss diet but to ensure I had plenty of fruit and veg. My wife kindly made me lots of smoothies and thick shakes made with full fat milk and fresh fruit.

He also put me on steroids to improve my appetite. 

I hope this helps - good luck with the chemo.

Dave