Weight loss

Hi all. 

I'm Mike and I'm 51. I've now lost 13lbs in 2 and a half weeks without trying. I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago so thought my bowel habits were caused by that. 

I have yellow watery diarrhoea most of the time (sometimes 4 or 5 times a day) then I won't go for a day. Then it's really dark and tarry and then back to yellow. 

I've all the symptoms for bowel cancer but had my gastro appointment last week cancelled due to Covid-19. 

I'm worried to say the least and don't know who to turn to if I can't get checked out. 

• Hi Waitingtogo and welcome to the forum.

Sadly many members here have found their appointments being cancelled or delayed due to covid-19 and I'm sorry you've also been affected.

Hopefully some of our members will pop by soon to offer some support and advice but do try getting in touch with your GP to let them know what's happened and see if there is anything else they can do to help you at this time.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

•  Hi Mike, just wondered how you are doing now and whether you have been checked out and helped?  I have lost 1 stone over the last 3 months since March following a hysterectomy. I lost 7 pounds after the first week  which I thought was due to the op  but then it just kept coming off at about 1 pound a week without trying. The last 2 weeks it's rapidly increased to 2 pounds a week and because I have high calcium levels in the blood my GP has referred me to a Cancer of the Unknown Primary clinic because he thinks it could be caused by that, but I am waiting on a long list with other delayed patients no doubt. I am already a BMI of 19 now so can't afford to keep losing more weight. I can understand  how worried you must be  what with the long waits due to the coronavirus. It's awful having no control over weight loss whilst not knowing how long it will be before you can get help. I hope you are ok.

• Hi and thanks for asking. Sounds like you're in a bad place I've found what I think is a lump on one of my testes and have an ultrasound booked for 22nd July. My weight loss is now at 18lbs since early March, despite eating and drinking more since being furloughed. My breathing isn't great and I've been coughing a lot all through lockdown. I've been in touch with a covid doctor who said they didn't think I'd had covid so I'm now waiting for a chest x-ray too. God i sound awful, until I know something for definite, I should be upbeat but I can't help but worry. Hoping you hear something soon, hopefully good news but it's the not knowing which is getting to me. Take care x

• Sorry to read that you have not been well all through lockdown, but it's encouraging to know that you have a definite date for an ultrasound in a few weeks. I had a phone appointment 3 days ago with a consultant  and he is arranging a colonoscopy, although he doesn't think my symptoms fit well with any gastrointestinal related causes. I've also been referred to Endocrinology urgently but have been told that it's about a 13 week wait due to Covid. On top of that I've been referred to haemotology and will be seen on the 15th. 

Hopefully your chest x-ray is being prioritised as urgent Ben? They're usually able to be done quickly at the hospital on the GPs instruction. It's so tough waiting and worrying but keep posting here for support and try to keep eating as much as you can for strength. I've found that tracking my calories daily on the MyFitnesspal app helps me to monitor my food intake and I make sure that I eat 500 calories or more than I burn (I have a fitbit). For a man, the average intake should be 2500 so if you try to eat over that every day see if that helps.  Also, I've been drinking Ensure drinks. Have you heard of them? They are meal supplement juices and shakes that bump up your calories with added vitamins. They're pretty pricey but an option for helping counteract the weight loss. Or you could try protein shakes, lots of them online :).

• Hi again and thanks for the advice. I'm going to wait it out and get this testes scan done and go from there. I had one of these a few years back and it turned out that (after I'd had the snip) my corterized tubes had reconnected and that's what the lump was. I felt quite embarrassed and haven't checked them ever since. Could be completely wrong again (hopefully) but this feels like it's part of the teste itself. 

Take care. 

Mike. 

• Hi Mike, I hope all is well? I've just come across your post and wondered how everything went.. I am at the stage where you were when you posted this post, 14lb weight loss with a cough that wont go away, awaiting scan on testes and leg so will see how that goes I guess. Hopefully you had good news or are recovering well if not.

Regards,

Adam.