Want 2 go on holiday during chemo break. Will it be possible

I am having 4 lots of chemo before having an op. for oesphagus cancer. The chemo is going to 14 days apart. During this gap I want to go on holiday for 5 days. Does anyone know if I willl fell up to it. I look forward to hearing any replies.

Thanks

Steve 

• Hello Steve, 

I can understand why you would want to go on a little holiday for a few days during your chemotherapy break. I hope you will hear from some of our members who have considered doing the same in the past in between chemotherapy cycles. It's difficult to tell though as everyone can react to chemotherapy treatment so differently so it may depend on how you feel after your treatment and if you experience side effects that may interfere with your ability to go away. Perhaps you could give your medical team a call and see whether they can advise you on this? It would be helpful I think to get their input on whether they think a little trip away wouldn't do any harm. You could also give our nurses a call on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm and they might be able to give you further advice on this or point you in the right direction. 

I certainly hope you can take a nice little break when you feel well enough to get away. And hopefully if you get to go, there will be lots of sunshine!

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi again,

We managed to get away for a skiing holiday between the last batch of chemo and the operation, so I would have thought it was possible, but as Lucie has mentioned, it would be worth talking to your medical team to get their thoughts. We talked to ours, and although you won't get a definite yes/no answer we thought it was worth the risk and booked it anyway. It was one of the most enjoyable and memorable holidays we have had.

We did have to get insurance with a caveat that the cancer wasn't covered, but that didn't really make a difference to us at that stage.

My advice is to try and get away if you possibly can. 

• Hi,

Thanks for your very positive e.mail. I am a holidayholic & drag my wife all round the world. We have a short break booked for Hereford only 4 days after my 1st. lot of FLOT chemo so I don't know how I am going to feel. I am sure we will have a break between last lot of chemo & the op which I undertsand is about 6 weeks.Probaly either Jersey or Nortern Ireland. Once again thanks for your e.mail.

Regards

Steve