Waiting results

Hi

I’ve just joined having just had a transvaginal scan, two cytologies and a biopsy. Been bleeding for over 5 weeks having not had a period for over 10 years. 

Ive been told my results appointment will be about 6 weeks. 

Ive Googled everything, scared myself to death & feel awful. Having period like cramps & lower back pain ( although I have hernia in spine too) I also had my dad with colon, liver & stomach cancer ! 

I can’t  talk to anyone, yet have a great husband, family & friends. I just can’t bring myself to mention it to people ! I’ve not told anyone about what’s happening apart from my husband & friends who took me to hospital ( but they only know basics, not any detail!)

How do you get through the waiting for results? Then if diagnosed ( which all my symptoms point to cancer) how do you cope with the added fear of covid19 in hospital? I’m usually a very strong independent person too! 

• Hello BettyBoopSpain, 

I just wanted to welcome you to our forum.  I can imagine it must be a very stressful time for you while waiting for these important results. 

I know it is really hard but try not to worry too much or anticipate what it might be. The best thing to do to avoid thinking too much about this is to keep busy and distracted if you can and avoid looking things up online. I can imagine it is hard for you to do this at the moment but it will help you feel a little less anxious. If diagnosed, you will have time to think about the possibility of going to hospital and having to deal with covid19 but try not to think about it now as you still don't know what your results will be. Try not to bottle all things up and to talk to your husband, family and friends about your feelings. It's great that they are so supportive and I am sure they would like to be there for you during this difficult waiting game. 

I hope you will also hear from others here who have been through all this before and that they will be along soon to share their story with you. 

Keeping everything crossed for you that everything turns out fine. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you. 

Is it normal to still have stomach cramps & brown  discharge after 5 days of having biopsy? I have stopped bleeding now but it’s turned to brown discharge and the stomach cramps are continuous ! ( not over painful but just a constant ache!) 

thanks x

• Hello BettyBoopSpain, 

We have information on this page on vaginal biopsies which mentions that "you may have slight bleeding for a few days afterwards" and to "tell your doctor if the bleeding is heavy". It also mentions you may have some soreness for a few days but I think it would be a good idea to give your doctor or the medical team which performed the biopsy a call just to check that this is to be expected as they will be able to tell you more about it. Do mention the discharge to them as well as the constant stomach cramps.

I hope that you manage to talk to someone about this soon and that the discharge settles and the cramps get better. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator