Waiting for colonoscopy and currently 15 weeks pregnant

Hi all,

I went to the doctor on Monday as I have been having some red blood with my stool for some time, I just assumed it was down to piles as it only happened when I strained/had constipation. 

She had a look and a feel and ruled out piles, and started looking quite worried and asking about my family history with bowel cancer etc. She then did an urgent referral to the hospital for a colonoscopy. I haven't had my appointment through yet - it should be within two weeks, but already I am finding the wait very, very hard. 

I have a 5 year old son, and I can't stop thinking about him growing up without me being there to support and love him. And how will my other half cope with a new baby and work alone. Does anyone have any good advice for coping mechanism when dealing with waiting like this? I know that even after the colonoscopy there is further wait for biopsy and CT scans etc. 

I am really not coping with this very well at all, and to make it worse I am working from home so I am alone all day - which makes it hard to "keep busy" to not think about these things. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Hello 

I have been diagnosed with bowel cancer in June this year - was total shock for me and my family as well as we don`t have any cancer history between us...

I was scared as I do have 4 years old boy adn worries were the same - how about him growing without me and how my husband will cope - only worst thoughts came to my mind. In my situation I had an emergency surgery as after other symptomps (please refer to my profile for full story) doctor found a mass in the bowel so he decided to operate. 

I have received my results after a month and I just found out that was a cancer - had no idea which stage etc that was... so diagnose  I received on Thursday and I have spoken with the oncologist in following Tuesday - between those appointments we had no idea if there is a plan for me or chance to survive - those few days were aweful! So I started to clear up all my to-do list (all little stuff which I have left for later) After surgery I have started to work from home and found that if I`m being work interrupted then I think less about all that C stuff and time goes quicker :)

Just please remember to not worry too much for your second baby :) I know it will be hard but take each day as it comes and resolve all problems only when they appear. 

I will keep my fingers crossed as not all symptoms will mean they will find cancer! Try to stay positive maybe plan some days out with your friend and entertain yourself :) 

Mal

• Hi Mal and thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am so sorry you are going through this, I read your story - and I am really hoping for the best for you and your family.

You are absolutely right - resolve problems only when they appear.

Seri

• Hi 

i realise this is an old post but I am in same position waiting for colonoscopy 12 weeks pregnant. I really hope your procedure went well I was looking for some info around how things went for you, was there a risk to baby? 

Many advice would be much appreciated.

kind regards 

Emma 

• Hello :) How are you?

How the things gone for you? hope your are all ok and was able to find something destressing :) 

I had my yearly follow up 2 days ago and all showed ALL CLEAR! 

Couldn`t be more pleased :) 

Hope everything will be great and will keep my fingers crossed. 

If you need anything just don`t hestitate to PM me :) 

Mal

• Hi Mal

unfortunatley I am still waiting for my procedure. They have stated it will be 20th Sept now, so I’m still waiting in anticipation.

I am trying to stay positive and hoping all will be ok it’s very much a limbo situation at the moment.

its good to hear stories ending positively when cancer is discovered. You are brave and determined and I hope if I don’t get the best outcome I can be the same.

love 

Emma 

• Hi Emma, I am so sorry you are going through this wait. I don't think I have ever gone through a period where I felt so scared before. 

I didn't get my colonoscopy in the end, the hospital didn't want to do it as I was pregnant. I saw another doctor who did a proper examination and found a tear which was causing the blood. 

I hope you get your answer soon and I am sure they wouldn't do it if there was a risk to the baby, I am sure you will be informed about this before the procedure. I wish you all the luck for the future. 

Love, 

Seri

• Hi Mal, 

I am so pleased for you! How fantastic news after such a heard year you must have had. 

I ended up not getting my colonoscopy in the end, but when I went in again the GP I saw did an examination and found the reason for the blood, a tear and possibly a hemorroide. Thank you for asking, that means a lot!

Lots of hugs to you and your family.

Seri

• Thank you both.

Hi guys

The procedure has been moved to tomorrow morning.

This bowel prep isn’t much fun, but important.

I think I’m getting more anxiety over the baby being harmed now (17 weeks 3 days) than any potential diagnosis ( sorry that probably sounds heartless given your previous diagnoses mal).

It’s my maternal instincts kicking in I think as baby number 5.

Nonetheless I am staying positive and praying for the all clear.

Mal, so glad to hear this, life is cruel but I’m glad this is the news you got and can live your life happy you must be so relieved.

Sending lots of love

Em 

• Hi Em! 

I will keep my fingers crossed for you :) And thank you and also Seri35 :) 

Em there is nothing to feel bad about how you feel ...I didn't have this worry about being pregnant but I can imagine how hard it must be... I also think that our bodies are designed to protect the baby and waters around - I really believe all will be just fine :) same with diagnose - all just going to be fine :D 

Just stay strong and try to relax :) 

I had few up and downs recentkly with brain scans but nothing big appeared hahaha so started to buying a house now ;) 

like all them saying - take each day as it comes and try to live my life - there is nothing to wait for :) 

xx

Let us know how all proceedure gone for you :) 

Mal

• Thanks Mal - I will try. They just said it may cause early labour so I think that’s my biggest worry, but I can’t wait not with my symptoms and my family history.

Um praying I’ll be back on here tomorrow with good news.

Love 

Em