Waiting for biopsy results

Hi

just joined the group. So stressed as awaiting results. Is there anyone also having the same problems

• Johig

Can't speak for everyone but for myself the biopsy/report gap must be the most stressful. Can't be helped, I suppose.

David

• Yes it's the worst part. Cant concentrate on anything just waiting for the letter to arrive or the phone call. Driving me mad.

• Hello johig; and welcome.  Every day there are more and more people getting nervy about the wait for test results.  It is a subject of much discussion.  There have been suggestions that if the tests results are good news then the patient should be telephoned asap to let them know; however it was soon realised that this would be hard on people who did not get a phone call as they would then be sure that their news would be bad when they were called in to an interview to get the results.  I don't know exactly what is involved with the tests and how long it takes to get the results.  But it seems to be an ongoing stress on top of the stresses already being felt. 

Lots of sympathy.  But sympathy doesn't get you back to sleep at 3am!  Annie

•  

Hi Johig,

Most of us have been through this stage, even if we are not currently going through it. We all agree that it is one of the most stressful parts of the cancer journey. When are you expecting your results through?

The best thing to do whilst you're waiting is to keep yourself as busy as possible, in order to try and distract yourself from the wait. Try to avoid consulting Dr Google in the meantime, as this is likely to scare you even more for no good reason. If you must browse the internet, stick to well-respected and well researched sites.

Our emotions tend to be all over the place and it is not at all unusual to feel anger, desperation, worry for family, fear of death, financial concerns, depression, tears and a myriad of other emotions all in one day.

I sincerely hope that your results come through soon and that they are favourable. Do please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine

• Yes me.....I had my biopsies taken 3 days ago and have been told my results will be about 4 weeks. This seems an incredibly long time to wait.

Dianne

• Thank you all for your replies it does help. Trying to keep myself busy and positive, it's just those times when it comes back into your head and won't go away. X good luck with your results Dianne 

•  

Hi Dianne,

I am sorry to hear that you have a four week wait for results. What type of cancer were your tests for? It can take longer for some types than it does for others.

I hope that your results are favourable when they do come through.

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi

My biopsies are for endometrial cancer. I am hoping that the 4 week timescale will prove to be just caution and the results will be back before that. What are other peoples experiences of biopsy timescales?

• Hi Dianne,

I'm afraid that I know very little about endometrial cancer. I've had 2 bouts of breast cancer. However, if you go to the blue banner at the top of this page and click the search facility, insert endometrial cancer in the box and click. This should bring up previous posts about the subject and you might find out how long others have had to wait for their results.

If you have no joy there why not phone the nurses on this site and ask them? They are available Mon - Fri, from 9.00am - 5.00pm. Their number is 0808 800 4040 and it is free to phone.

I hope that you manage to get the answers you want via these sources.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi

from what I gather it can be any length of time and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the timescale although I’m sure there is a process in place somewhere!  Before you read my experience let me emphasise that it is not typical.  Others have had good news soon and later and vice versa.

i had a biopsy for thickened endometrium. It took three weeks for my results.  My hospital letter said a letter within foutrteen days or if considered serious a phone call within five days. Unfortunately good Friday fell on the fourth day. So I waited two days beyond Easter Monday and nothing. The waiting as you know was agony. I jumped every timethe phone rang.  Next I waited for the letter. Waiting in pieces until the post arrived half way through the afternoon.  Then on the fourteenth day I got a phone call from the consultants secretary quite out of the blue.  She told me he had some cancellations the following Friday, four days away and I had an appointment then.  She also told me that it was policy not to give results over the phone or by letter. When I arrived at the clinic, there was no one there, no patients, or nurses. Then a McMillan nurse arrived checked who I was and said she was waiting for the consultant. By then I had guessed the results. I was told I had low grade endometrial cancer.  I’ve had an mri and another two weeks wait for results and finally got an operation date today.

waiting is tough whatever the timescale. I got through it by talking to my family, friends and people on here. I’d say don’t read anything into how little or long you have to wait. Certainly don’t read google if you can stop yourself. Keep yourself busy and in those dark moments, that we all have, talk to people on here.  They have been my rock!  I got through it and am in a much better place now I know and there is a plan.  I know there will still be bad moments because it wasn’t the result I wanted. But as my daughter says....it is what it is and any amount of worrying won’t change that.  When I’m being sensible that’s what I tell myself. When I’m not, friends on here have listened to me rant and got me through. We all find our own way, you will find yours.

stay strong