Waiting for 2 WW dermatology re query melanoma

hi 

I was referred by my GP for a 2WW dermatology which really panicked me. I have the appointment on Tuesday coming . i have a new small lesion on my toe looks like a mole where i havent had one before but not under the ( very small) toe nail. I am swinging between worried that i have skin cancer and upset with myself that i left it a couple of months to get looked at and worried that they think i am wasting time. The GP appointment was an e consult so he hasnt seen it in person. I was getting so worried that i rang the patient helpline which i was glad i did because i got a cancellation for next week and felt that i took a bit of control. I also found the online leaflets from the hospital very helpful as it said what a 2ww is and what it isnt. I have also found this site very helpful as i feel i know more what to expect. 

Just an update about me really and my experience and what has helped. What has not helped ( but i am guilty of)is Dr Google and his scary gang.

I will feed back on how the appointment goes.

• Hello asum6760,

I just wanted to welcome you to our forum. I hope your appointment goes well on Tuesday. I can imagine it must be a very stressful time for you while waiting to find out more.

I know it is really hard but try not to worry too much or anticipate what it might be. The best thing to do to avoid thinking too much about this is to keep busy and distracted if you can and avoid looking things up online. You are right Dr Google and as you say "his scary gang" are not helpful. I can imagine it is hard for you to do this at the moment but it will help you feel a little less anxious. 

I hope you will also hear from others here who have been through all this before and that they will be along soon to share their story with you. 

Keeping everything crossed for you that everything turns out fine. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• i wanted to update about my appointment

in the end all went well and i have a clean bill of health. As much as i want to jusxt forget about it all the learning i will take is that melanoma is serious and i have many moles and fair skin and i need to take care and be vigilant. this site has been brilliant in giving me information and support and i feel much better informed. I am of course very relieved but dont want to be complancent

so thanks to everyone who replied to me and i wish you all the best.

x

• Hi,

Thank you for coming back & updating us - it really helps those in a similar position to know that not everyone who is referred to dermatology receives a melanoma diagnosis.

I'm also glad that the experience has informed you about how to check your moles etc. Sun safety is also very important so stay safe & hopefully you will never have another mole scare. 

Best wishes,

Angie (melanoma patient)