Waiting.

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking for a few days now. 

I have an appointment at the breast clinic on 23rd, two weeks after going to see a nurse for a lump. I'm terrified. I'm putting on a brave face and keep telling myself it's probably all fine, but as soon as I'm alone I cry. I'm 33 with a 7 year old and a 3 year old. 

I have almost convinced myself it's okay! Because I've been breastfeeding, both refused that breast but fiddled so it's occasionally been odd. Inverted nipple checked previously and was fine. 3 year old has just finished breastfeeding. Lump is squishy. Everything else okay. I have previously had mastitis and blocked ducts. I even sometimes believe I'm being ridiculous because it's going to be nothing and I will have wasted time worrying. 

but then there's the worry about what if it is something. Why is the referral so fast? Do I actually have cancer? 

The nurse simply said it could be nothing, but she was going for rather safe than sorry. 

I kept busy at work, I'm an early years teacher. But now it's half term, my daughter is isolating after a covid case at her nursery so we can't go on walks like normal and I'm just stuck at home thinking. I'm awaiting an autism diagnosis so my brain has equally processed the best and worst case scenarios for me. 

I haven't told my friends, I've cried on my husband who is practical and supportive but also positive. My mum is hopeful. 

I just don't know what else to do. Nobody can tell me an answer until the appointment and I don't know what else I can do to pass the time. I'm just scared. 

• Hi Shelle,

Thank you for posting.. I am glad you have taken the step of reaching out and taken the step past the lurking stage.  I lurked for weeks when I first started this journey.  I am not sure there is much I can say that will ease the waiting period for you - time is what it is but what I can tell you is that there is a policy in the NHS that still stands even in these covid riddled times of what is called a "two week wait" for anything that doctors or clinical nurses feel need proper looking at where cancer needs rulling out. Breast lumps are a classic example of this because even though 9 out of 10 lumps are benign any woman they refer goes on to the 2 week wait pathway so it is suddenly an almighty rush except in this odd time when we are all kicking our heels.  Hang on in there, the appoinment will come.

I went through the roller coaster ride in the first lock down - full time carer for Dad, lump found - whisked to clinic and so on.  

In the meantime you are allowed to think and feel whatever you think and feel. Crying is good to let the stress of all this out but so is being "normal" whatever that is - doing the little things of day to day life.  You will survive this.