Waiting

Hi all so about 4 months ago I started to have slight discharge from my left nipple no blood or anything just clear and ignored it thinking all would be ok, this continued until around 5 weeks ago It started to get quite bloody and painful I went straight to see my go who said she couldn’t feel anything however would refer me to my local breast clinic . Appointment come through very quickly and I was seen by a consultant she again said that should couldn’t feel anything concerning however to go ahead and have a scan. 

During the scan the gentleman stopped and said he could see a lump attached to one of the ducts however felt it was a papilloma I would need to have a core biopsy performed .( due to being a panicking mess I had to go back 2 days later with a relative ) the core biopsy was done and the nurse said she felt it didn’t look like anything to worry about however they would contact me in a few days with results. 

5 days passed what felt like forever and no matter how much people said ( no news is good news) I worried I decided to call my go to see if any results had come through however they hadn’t he said he would look online were they were posted by the hospital, 

the go continued to tell me the results had come back and all appeared to be ok not to worry. 

Releaved I called my partner family and friends to tell them all was fine until 3 days later I received a letter to go back to see my consultant at the breast clinic. 

I didn’t panic as she had already said even if the results were fine I would need the lump removing .

i went for the appointment we’re I wasn’t told that abnormal cells had been detected in the breast biopsy and that she would now like me to have a total breast duct excision and some tissue she also mentioned a radio active injection and did explain everything however I was alone and was just shocked she was telling me the results were not normal.

Confused and frustrated I just don’t no what to think and never felt so alone although it may be nothing . I’m have been for my pre op yesterday and just awaiting for a slot for my operation now.

i have read some lovely inspiring posts on here and just want to wish all you lovely ladies the very best xxxx

• Hello Becky27,

I just wanted to say that you shouldn't panic. You have done everything right and your consultant is giving their best recomendation. A good way of feeling less confused and frustrated would be to contact the consultant with all your questions so you feel ready for the operation. You've taken a relative to an appointment before, so you should try and get someone to come with you again for support. It's also important that you try and take your mind of it and some tips here might help, especially while waiting for the results to come.

Best wishes,

Moderator Anastasia

•  

Hi Becky,

Welcome to our forum. I am so sorry to hear about the mix-up in your diagnosis. You must be feeling really confused by all that you have been told.

As someone who has had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 10 years, I can fully empathise with your emotions. There are so many unknowns at this stage, so many tests, treatments, etc, that it is just mind boggling.

I find that the best thing to do between appointments is to draw up a list of questions for my care team. Hubby helps with this, because he sometimes adds questions that I havent thought of. I take a copy of the list and give it to my hubby. As I am asking the questions of my consultant, he is writing down the answers. I find this helpful, as everything goes straight over my head during consultations.

It is also a good idea to always bring someone with you to your appointments, especially if you are expecting to get any results.

I am glad to hear that you have had your pre-op and are now just awaiting a slot for your surgery, which, I'm sure will go well. I sincerely hope that you don't have too long to wait for this. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx