Urgent referral in Ayrshire and Arran February 2021

I'm a 70year old male and visited my doctor exactly one month ago after discovering a growth in my left breast around the nipple area Being aware that breast cancer is not exclusive to women my doctor explained I was right to go to him with my my concerns , after examination he confirmed he too had concerns and was giving me an urgent referral for further investigation

I fully understand the pressure our wonderful NHS is under at the present time but I was wondering how long I have to wait for an urgent appointment in this time of Covid-19?

As I am a widower and have no one I can share my concerns with I would appreciate any input from this forum

• Hi Narejos

Welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been waiting so long for a referral. I think at the moment it might depend on the hospital you are being referred to and how they are coping with the pandemic. From my experience, I had my GP appointment on the 4th of February and was told to expect to hear from the hospital within 3-4 weeks but if I hadn't heard anything after 4 weeks, to phone back so that he could chase it up. I'm not sure whether he gave me that timeframe expecting a delay due to Covid-19 or if I was given an non-urgent referrel, as I'm sure urgent referrels are normally expected to be seen within 2 weeks. Either way though, I was seen within 3 weeks (had my appointment on the 25th). I’m in Renfrewshire though, so it may be that your local hospital currently has a long waiting list due to the impact of the pandemic. But since it’s been a month and you still haven’t heard anything, I would definitely suggest either phoning your GP or, if you know the hospital you are being referred to, phoning the hospital to see if they can give you any update. 

I really hope this gets sorted for you soon. In the meantime, if you have any other questions or concerns, there are plenty of people on here who are always happy to help so please don’t hesitate to ask.

Wishing you all the best

Lauren x

• Thank You for you kind reply I will chase this on , with the appointments for the local hospitals, it's frustrating waiting every day for a letter to drop on the mat , meantime I'm trying not to convince myself the lump is growing

Good Luck with your situation I sincerely hope everything turns out well

Kind Regards

Narejos

• The 2 weeks referral isn't in play in Scotland. There is a 62 day treatment rule instead. I think that's from the date of first referral. Hoping whatever is going on with you is benign, and you get seen soon. I know not knowing is horrible x

• Thank you and I hope everything goes well for you as well. I completely understand how you’ve been feeling, I’ve definitely been the same way. One minute thinking everything is fine and the next, convincing myself of the worst. I think being on here can help though, especially seeing as it reminds you that you’re not going through this alone. Hopefully you’re finding that as well. 

Best wishes

Lauren x

• Thank You for your concern x

• After corresponding with Lauren776 and reading the post from Lyns21 I chased up my referral this morning and you are correct Lyns21 The nice lady in appointments confirmed the current waiting times for urgent referral is 8 weeks She did however say that she had been working on making appointments from the urgent referrals list just this morning She revisited the list and I was now number 2 on that list so she could make an appointment there and then for me for when the following clinic opens

There was however a cancellation in a weeks time , naturally I accepted this and will be seen on the 8th March which is a huge wait off my mind Fingers crossed the outcome will be as kind 

Thank You All

Narejos