Urgent referral as my fit test came back 108 ug/g

I am panicking and feeling extremely anxious. Received urgent phonecall from duty GP on Friday   09:45 to explain 2WW. Read my notes / referral letter on Tuesday @ 13:00 and discovered the numbers as 108 ug/g. All I can find is that above 10 is classed as abnormal. What is the scale and the probabilities attached to the number 108?

I have been feeling incredibly anxious and worried and this has gone into overdrive all day today. Where can I find more information / support.

• Hello and thanks for your post,

Waiting for appointments and then results of tests can be very unsettling and unnerving. 

As I am sure that you are aware a FIT test is a test for blood in the stool. It is not a test for cancer. It does indicate however that further tests need to be done to rule out a cancer. There are other reasons for a high result, one of these being a polyp or polyps which are usually benign (not cancer). 

Hopefully over the next few days you should hear from the hospital. They may well decide to do a colonoscopy where they can have a good look at the bowel and if necessary take some biopsies. We have some information on our website about having a colonoscopy which you can see here

Unfortunately it can take a while to get the results of the different tests back but it is important for the doctors to know why you have presented with an abnormal result. Try not to think too far ahead taking one day at a time.

You may find it helpful to share how you are feeling with trusted friends or members of your family. 

Hopefully you should know more soon. Keep yourself busy and your mind on other things if you possibly can. At stressful times some people find it helps to look at the NHS website 'Every Mind Matters'. It has some helpful coping strategies when you are feeling stressed. Have a look here

You are more then welcome to ring to speak to one of the nurses on the helpline if you feel that would help.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Best Wishes,

Catherine

• Hi Catherine,
    Thank you so much for the prompt response. I have now had my call and discussion about the colonoscopy and having mulled over the possibilities of the outcome. I am fairly sure that all will be ok and that I just need to try and realax a little about the tests as you have pointed out so far I have just had indicators and not a diagnosis..
    I no have more worry that I do all the right things to prepare for the procedure and not delay by mucking up something.

PCR test on this coming friday,

Isolation  over the weekend

Moviprep on Sunday and the simple diet unil the procedure on the Monday 

I'm being positive about all of this as I beleive I am in the best hands and I am worrying about nothing really.