Urgent 2 week referral for colonoscopy

Hi am new here guys so please bear with me. 

I am currently 29weeks pregnant and for the last 17 days have had constant diarrhoea up to 12 times a day, abdominal pain waking me in the night and the pain is always there just varies in intensity and blood in my stool.

My gp sent bloods off and a stool sample last Thursday and he said he would refer for a colonoscopy due to family history (nan has had bowel cancer and polyps,  dad and brother have also had polyps) got my results today but not with the same gp and I was in tears when I walked out. She kept saying I don't fit the criteria for a urgent referral and even though I have had a few red markers on my bloods she said she wouldn't be concerned due to pregnancy. Now this frustrates me as I have had routine bloods 3 weeks prior and they were fine the only thing that has changed in the 3 weeks is my symptoms. I used to go regularly twice a day no problem now I have had accidents because I can't control it.

I asked what criteria I should meet for an urgent referral and when she looked I ticked 3 boxes out of 4 which meant she had to do it but stated "they may refuse this referral".

I just feel like was I right in pushing and asking questions? Should I even get checked now? 

Feeling so low at the moment. 

• Hello Wilde, 

I can imagine this is all so stressful for you at the moment. You've definitely done the right thing and you were right to ask questions. It is always important to ask questions if you feel you need to find out more. I hope you do get to see someone and that you get some definite answers soon. Feel free also to discuss all this with another GP just to get another opinion on what the best course of action might be. 

You can find out more about getting another opinion on this page

I hope everything goes well for you - keeping everything crossed for you. I hope the pregnancy is going well despite these issues.

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator