Unknown primary cancer

miss my dad terribly - he had first symptoms 6 weeks  before he died ..... cancer of unknown primary origin biopsy showed undifferentiated cancer cells  .... 

he was just such a lovely man. Taken far too soon. Miss him terribly.

One minute health loving life and active then gone within 6 weeks am proud to say we looked after him at home and gave him what he wanted.

not sure what to do to help stop this happening to other families. All advice appreciated 

• miss my dad terribly - he had first symptoms 6 weeks  before he died ..... cancer of unknown primary origin biopsy showed undifferentiated cancer cells  .... 

he was just such a lovely man. Taken far too soon. Miss him terribly.

One minute health loving life and active then gone within 6 weeks am proud to say we looked after him at home and gave him what he wanted.

not sure what to do to help stop this happening to other families. All advice appreciated 

• Hi Louisa, 

I don't think anyone is ever prepared for losing a parent so I can't begin to imagine how tough it must have been to lose your dad in such a short space of time but I'm glad you were able to look after him at home and give him what he wanted within that time.

Many members here have also had this experience and hopefully some of them will pop by soon to offer their support and advice. I can see that you were trying to reply to [@LillyStar]‍ due to them being in a similar situation to yourself so I'm just going to tag them in this post so they can see what you wrote.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Louisa, firstly can i offer you my sincere condolances on the loss of your dad. I know exactly what you are going through i can honestly say it is hard on so many levels. I lost my mum 11th Feb after only being told of her illnes on the 18th Jan. I honestly thought we had more time. Like you i cared for my mum here at my house. She was with my husband and I and our little boy when she passed. Her first and only grandchild, whom she adored and he her.

Like your dad my mum was never ever ill, very active and independent and only 68. Her 69 birthday was yesterday. Very Very Hard day for me. I was very very close to my mum and feel like i have died too. My grief gives me so many different emotions every day. Mainly angry at how young she was and cruel and aggressive this "Horrible desease is". She had a CUP (Cancer of Unknown Primary). My mum had been poorly since October last year with a lump the base of her head/neck she was convinced she had a tumour (she was in so much pain) and was back and forth to her GP everyday, with him doing phone calls and home visits, only to diagnose her with arthritis. She had a terrible cough which he said was a chest infection, turned out to be a PE Pulminary Embolism. She had pleated her GP for a mri (eventually he did) I have had two meetings so far with her GP and found out that she was diagnosed with multiple metasis on the 16th Jan, her GP told her she had shadows but nothing to be concerned about- mum was rushed to a&e the 18th. I absolutley indend to sue him for GP Neglence, it wont bring her back but i want justic for mum and to stop him and other GP dismissing the symptons. Before my mum passed she begged me to get justice for her! I have heard so many people telling me the samething happend to them/someone they knew.

She was missed treated by the GP and the hospital - and she paid her NI fo over 50 years.

I miss her everyday we saw eachother every day spoke 4-5 times a day. I lost my dad 15 years ago.

• Hi 

my dear dad passed away from CUP of the adenocarinoma area. My dad’s symptoms started in September 2015 with stomach problems, it took until 7th December that same year to actually diagnosis him because he had no obvious cancer symptoms, but his bloods were not reading correctly . He had chemo for around 6 months and then due to other health issues that stopped and he passed away on 3rd September 2016. I do feel that if his diagnosis had actually been targeted to a primary area or diagnosed earlier then he may have fought it for longer. 

I am a member of JO FOUNDATION CUP and often purchase badges to make people more aware of this type of cancer. 

• sorry to hear of your dads passing Duchie. I was not aware of the JFC and will certainly now have a look and yes it all helps to make more people aware. More information and research could certainly help alot more people.