Trying to cope

Hi,

In June 2018 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 oesophagus cancer. Hes had radiotherapy and chemotherapy which has not worked and a stent inserted, but the cancer grew through that. Last week, me and my two older brothers were informed by him that he was stopping all treatment and has only been given 3-5 months.

We don't have the best relationship, my parents split up ten years ago, but that is in the past. Just want some advice on how to cope during this period. 

Thanks.

• Hi there ..

Well you can't change the past , but you can change the future...  if you can live in the day .. try not to think ahead .. see how many good memories you can have .. it's not about big things ,  it's those little things .. asking him about his life growing up .. you may find out things that surprised you ... watch a film .. on good days a little walk in the park .. ask him if there's something he still wants to do .. or somewhere he wants to go .. 

It's o.k to share tears, and admit it's scary .. but use this time, to make up for lost time ... hopefully you and your brothers can make memories together ... it may not have been all his fault about the brake up ... it usually takes two .. but if you can all not go over old wounds .. don't bring up the past .. but help each other on your dad's last journey... you'll be surprised how many memories you can pack into a couple of months ..  sending you a vertual hug... Chrissie x

• Thank you for your advise 

• Hi Nikki.

My dad passed away on the 19th of September we only found out he had cancer a few days before that. We took him to a&e on Friday 13th of September and found out on the 16th. I know our story's are completely different and I only had 6 days with him but all I can say is take it one day at a time I literally had to switch me emotions off in front of him to not upset him (as us being distressed made him upset) he even at one point asked me if I'd ever thought about my funeral as he couldn't get his out his head. I went into auto pilot and just did everything I could for him. I was distraught inside but for him I would of done anything. I was with him as he took his last breath, something I can never ever erase from my memory but aslong as he knew I was there with him and he wasn't alone I'd do it all over again for him. 

sorry for rambeling I guess what I'm tryin to say is everyone's different. We all deal with our emotions differently just let what emotions you feel out and make the most of the time ur dad has left. Just as everyone's cancers are different . Take one day at a time and try not look into the future. Please message me if u need any support.

xxxx

• I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for your message. 

• My boyfriends mum has just been diagnosed with bile duct and gallbladder cancer. Not sure what treatment, if any, she will be having yet. I'm trying to be strong for my boyfriend but it's hard whilst my dad is still with us, as I don't know how much longer my dad will be here for