Trial drug for lung cancer with rare mutation EGFR exon 20

Hi

I have just completed a course of 4 chemotherapy cycles for recurrent, incurable non small cell lung cancer. The drug infusion consisted of carboplatin, pemetrexed and an immunotherapy drug, pembrolizumab.

The biopsy taken before treatment showed that I have a rare mutaton - EGFR exon 20. This mutant doesn't respond to the targeted treatment that other EGFR cancers do. As my chemo treatment has finished now, I had a scan on 28 May to see how my tumour has responded to treatment. My oncologist is going to phone me on Monday to discuss a way forward based on the results of the scan. He mentioned a trial drug for my mutant called Tak-788, otherwise known as Mobocertinib. I think he will offer me this if the tumour has grown. If it's stable I think he will keep me on a reduced chemotherapy treatment of pemetrexed for as long as it's helpful. 

The reason I'm posting here is to see if anyone has taken this trial drug and what their experience has been. The side effects seem quite harsh, but maybe they can be managed with other treatments. 

If my tumour is stable, that's good news for me as chemo hasn't been too punishing and I'd be bappy to carry on. If my tumour has grown I am pretty sure that the oncologist will discontinue all chemotherapy as the cocktail he has given me is the best they have. So in my mind I have a choice between the trial drug and no anti-cancer treatment. That is to say, I will move on to palliative care. I am ok about that - I'm just at that difficult stage of trying to decide what to do. 

• Hi - are you also watching the Macmillan forum perhaps?  There's people on there who are discussing Exon 20, and taking it.  

There's also a Exon 20 facebook group.  

New drug, just approved 2 months ago.  

I think trials are great.  I almost went on one for my first line treatment but decided on the "safe" option. The side effects always sound huge, high risk and impactful.  And I've ended up with a rare immune related adverse event which wasn't even listed.  

• Thanks Me_ for your prompt reply and pointing me in the direction of Macmillan. I have just joined their forum and hopefully I will gain more information from a patient's perspective. 

I wish you the best with your adverse event. Even with the 'safe' option of chemo I ended up in hospital when my bone marrow took a beating. However I was treated well and recovered.