Tonsil cancer

Hi everyone 

I was diagnosed on 25th April this year with stage3 left tonsil cancer and left lymph node in neck.

So far I've had 250 hours of intense chemo. 11 radiotherapy sessions on both sides of the neck to date.

I'm now struggling to swallow food got 0%taste

No eaten for 2days now and will be informing radiotherapy tmrw.

Can only just swallow water.

Dry mouth and mucus like glue

It's worse than Torture.

Any advice will be appreciated.

• Hi Wildboy

Sorry to read that you are having such an awful time with the treatment.

There is a growing group on here that have alot in common with you.

[@RadioactiveRaz]‍  aka Hazel and [@Anchor1707]‍  aka Ian have made very informative blogs on their journey.

They are never far away and Im sure you will hear from them soon. Their advice is invaluable and their support to many on here is so well known.

Take care and keep up with the good fight. x

Forgot to say Ians thread is, radiotherapy for throat cancer by anchor1707

• Hi 

Thankyou for advice I will keep fighting of course.

All best x

• Hi wild boy 

welcome to the club no one really wants to join. I am hazel am 10 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer with affected lymph nodes. The treatment is brutal to be honest but the end results are hopefully worth it. I have a blog with links to anchor 1707 give us a read we are both honest with our feelings and experience s. There is light at the end if the tunnel just sometimes it seems a long way away. I had the nasal feedibgvtube fittedcweek 3 as swallow was bad and even water got unbearable please mention everything to your team tomorrow they are there to help 

Ask  any questions someone will always help you aren’t alone 

blog www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com

Good luck hazel 

• Hi Hazel.

I knew you would not be far away. xxxx

• Hi Wildboy,

Just to mirror Hazel's comments re treatment.

It's no walk in the park thats for sure but you do get through it and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    It's  good you are going to mention to team today as you need to fuel your body somehow and also keep well hydrated. To be honest they will minitor and step in if you cant manage. You may need to consider a PEG getting fitted so you can get fuel that way and they might also consider supplement drinks for a period of time. Both Hazel and I were both on them. You get used to them and they help.

I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to eat and we need help sometime.
    As difficult as it may be, please try and up the water intake. Even if its small sips at a time.

My mantra on my blog was to drink, drink again, then drink some more. I personally think that drinking as much water as you can is one of the best medicines you can take.
    You never mentioned pain, but please monitor that as well and take any advice from your team and also the proper pain management they advise.

Please keep in touch and keep us informed of progress and if there is anything I can do at all to help just holler as I'm only a message away and alsp happy if you wanted to friend request for a more detailed chat in PM.

Have read my blog as well and tracks my journey warts and all like Hazel's Between us you show at least have some additional awareness of potential road.

radiotherapythroat.home.blog/

Best wishes

ian

• Hi Clara 

thanks for thinking of me n isn only too pleased to help. A year ago today was day one of chemotherapy and treatment. Look at me now biked 22 mile s yesterday. Hope you’ve unpacked from the move ?

Take care 

Hazel x

• Hi Hazel

I just cant say it enough what a godsend both you and Ian are to the folks on here :-)

I hope wildboy gets help and support at his appt today I really feel his pain and to qoute Ian his angst.

Yes Im all unpacked a few lost items but they will turn up somewhere.

Ive unpacked my Lladro and its all in one piece phew!!!

Take care keep well. xx

• Hi Clara 

me and Ian work on the Tesco principles every little helps. 

People helped us in the early days so we’d are just continuing that mantra 

glad you’re Llandro made it in one piece ,sure your bits and pieces will turn up.

please keep in touch if only for a chat

Ps are u back at hospital,soon ?

h x 

• Hi Ian

I'm 3weeks post treatment 

And av had horrendous gluey mucus 

Did u have it and roughly for how long.

It makes me vomit everyday.

Look forward to a reply.

Wildboy 

• Hi Wildboy 

Today is week 5 of 7 weeks radiotherapy treatment for me for tonsil cancer and I believe I'm just starting the mucus stage. I can still eat bits and pieces but I can't drink especially water. The taste of water is so vile I can't even have it in my mouth. I'm drinking a few mouthfuls of green tea or hot Ribena here and there both of which I dislike also.

Please can I ask how you were at week 5 please? 

Take care