Tonsil Cancer

Hi all , I thought I would post to spur you on . I was diagnosed in feb 2012 with late stage 4 tonsil cancer . I was given chemo & radiotherapy . I won't say it was an easy ride and I had some dark days but the treatment worked and I have had no recurring cancer . The cisplatin gave me peripheral neuropathy and I still struggle to eat meat but get by by using sauces . A small price to pay seeing as I was tube fed for a year . My advice is to take one day at a time . I wish you all the very best with your journeys and keep fighting , it will be worth it in the end ! 

• Hi there 

Sorry to hear bout yr cancer and glad you've come through it.

I've got stage3 left toncil cancer n left lymph node in neck.

To date 250 hours of intensive chemo.

11 sessions of radio with 19 to go.

My throat is raging.

Got 0% taste cant swallow food, only just swallow water.

Mucus is like glue/thick n sticky.

No eaten for 2days now 

Will be informing radiotherapy tmrw 

A feeding tube is looking odds  on now.

Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated.

• Hi ,sorry to hear your going through it , it was exactly the same for me and I feel for you ! Get that tube sorted asap it takes the pressure off you as far as getting nutrients down you . I insisted on a rig tube as the nasal tubes made me vomit and kept coming out . They started me on a feeding pump but I hated the messing around and eventually started bolus feeds ( fortisips syringed into my stomach via the rig .) It was so much better and could carry a few with me if going out for the day . The sticky mucus was awful and I didnt find anything that helped much . Bicarb & water mouthwashes eased it a little . I tried all the mouth sprays but found that if I filled a spray up with cool boiled water and sprayed it often ,it worked better . Its hard going but keep in mind it doesn't last forever and once the radio has finished the pain will ease over a few weeks . Follow the speech and language therapists exercises as they will sttengthen your swallow . Keep ontop of your pain meds aswell