Tonsil Cancer

For the past 3 weeks I have had a swollen tonsil just on the right hand side and cobblestoning at the back of my throat. I initially had ear pain and headache but that has gone and have also been on a 10 day course of antibiotics with no change. Really worried about tonsil cancer even though I know it is unlikely. I'm 19, female and have been a social smoker since I was about 16 but quit a couple of months ago. I used to get an itchy throat sometimes from smoking and a sore on the roof of my mouth from scratching which would heal in a week but come back sometimes if I smoked again. Could this have been a sign of oral cancer that I ignored? Can't stop thinking about it 

• H! Ko2001,

I am worried about the same thing, I am 25 years old and have had swollen tonsils for a month now. One is much larger than the other. I've got an urgent ENT appointment Wednesday so hoping to find out more then. From what I have read it is very unlikely, especially at a young age. If your worried go to your GP. Mine has been amazing, I have been seen twice in the last 2 weeks and they referred me. 

• Hi,

I'm 22 and have also had a swollen right tonsil and pain in my throat for about a month now, was told to get a covid test originally which came back positive and after that was given antibiotics with no change. Just back from the doctor and getting an urgent referral from ENT but was told can take up to two weeks, so scared what's going to come back as I did used to smoke but the waiting has me feeling so sick and anxious. 
    I hope your appointment went well! 

• Hi Lucy

I'm Ian and I have been though the treatment couple years ago and right as rain now.

It's not really common to have this diagnois at an early age and there are many reasons for these symtoms that end up as nothing to worry about. The same with ENT. Most referrals do not automatically mean the worst and its mainly the case of having someone who is a little more expert in this area than a general practitioner.

Undertand your agnst but hopefully they will get to bottom of whats causing the symtoms and allieviate your worry.
    Please try and stay off google as so much mis information out there. I would advise to stick to NHS/or sites like here/macmillan.

Let us know how you get on with your appointment of if you have any questions

regards

Ian

• Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for replying, has really put my mind at ease. I'm so glad treatment was successful for you and you're doing well now. 
    "Doctor Google" was definitely a big factor in my worries but glad I found threads like this. Haven't been myself for quite a while now so I just hope this appointment answers a lot of questions. 

I will let you know how it goes, thanks again.

Lucy 

• Hi lucy!

Hope your refferal goes well. I had a phone consultation a couple of weeks ago now and just went for an MRI scan of my neck yesterday. I'm still waiting for the results but please try not to be too worried. I was massively anxious at the start and it just exaccerbated my problems and even gave me really bad acid reflux!

Hoping for the best for you

Konoha

• Hi Konoha, 

Thanks for replying, trying to take my mind off it but hopefully my appointment will come through soon as it's the waiting that makes it worse. 

Let me know how your MRI went, fingers crossed for you!

Lucy 

• Hi

I hope the results and appointments go ok. Remember that 9 out of 10 swollen tonsils are infections and nothing to be concerned about so there is always hope. If it is anything to worry about look at my and Dragon nFach page www.mycancerjourney page or on here whirlwind week 

take care 

• Hi Lucy,

Thank you for your reply. The ENT could not see any infection etc, he did note one was bigger than the other and the camera showed inside my nose to be inflamed and contained blood which he was surprised about. He sent me for an MRI scan which I had 2 weeks later, I have now got an appointment for the results on Wednesday (2 weeks after the scan). It all feels so quick! However, I have decided I am not worried and convinced myself it is something minor. I have seen what looks like very very small tonsil stones come from my tonsils, so I assume that is the culprit, however, now my tonsils appear to be infected. Glad I don't have long to wait now.

Hope your ENT appointment and MRI went well. 

• Hiya!

Glad your appointment went okay and everything is moving fast! Sounds like they're giving you a good check over & fingers crossed it comes back minor like you said! So encouraging to see so many positive attitudes on this forum, definitely puts your mind at ease. 
    Im still waiting for my appointment to come through which is the only thing worrying me, keeping my mind off my symptoms and pain killers are helping with them but hoping it's not much longer until I hear back. I was told 2 weeks but I assumed I would have had my appointment arranged within a week, guess things are a lot busier with covid. 
    Trying to remain positive and keep myself busy with work :) Hope your follow up appointment goes well!! 

Lucy 

• Thank you, Lucy

I had my results appointment yesterday, MRI came back clear but the Dr can not explain or understand why I am in so much pain and my tonsils being so swollen. After both of us being baffled and a conversation over risks, he has put me down for a tonsillectomy and biopsy for diagnosis purposes (he said the MRI can miss things but this does not occur very often).  I have it booked for a months time, so not long to wait. 

Have you heard anything more?