Tongue cancer

Hi guys I wonder if someone can help. I have had an ulcer on my tongue for 4 months now, it's very sore, white with a sort of dip in it. I have a hospital appointment next Friday to have it looked at. Just wondering if anyone can give me an insight about what to expect.

Thank you

• Hi Melplant

I also had an ulcer on the side of my tongue that wouldn't go away (also white with what the doctor described as a halo around it). I attended the Maxi facial clinic to get it checked and they removed it the following day and I'm just waiting on the results for it.

As part of the appointment the consultant looked all round my mouth and down my throat. He felt my neck and thyroid for any lumps and checked if my lymph nodes were swollen which they were slightly.

Because I had had mine for over 6 months he wanted to remove it and send it off for testing.

Good luck with your appointment and I hope all is well.

• Thank you for your reply, I'm so scared it's cancer

• It's completley normal to be scared especially when you relise that you've been put on the fast track referral list.

Just know that today you're a little bit futher on than you were yesterday and your heading in the right direction.

On my doctors notes it mentions mine being a possible TUGSE which can behave like something more sinister but is completly harmless stubborn ulcer ( in simple terms)

Like me you might have the ulcer removed for testing and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Try to keep busy and don't go searching Dr Google its liable to be inaccruate and scare you more!

let me know how you get on on Friday

• Hi Melplant,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. It's good to hear you have an appointment coming up to get this checked out. They'll take a look and if there's any concern or uncertainty then they may do tests to find out more, which would likely mean a bit of a wait for information afterwards.

I hope it all goes well on Friday.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Melplant,

I have just been given a 2ww appointment for much the same reason. I'm wondering how the first appointment went so I know what to expect. 
    im also hoping your outcome was a good one? How did you get on? 

Holly