Tongue cancer

in 2015 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 tongue cancer. It all started with a small sore on the right side of my tongue. Went to Dentist he didn’t help. So made an appointment with my PCP be she set me up to have a biopsy. Well 3 days later the Doctor said I had cancer. Them it same like everything was happening so fast. Was set up for surgery. Had the surgery and 2/3 of my tongue of cut off , also removed my right lymph nodes. Stayed 3 days under. Woke up has a nasal tube in. But had high spirits with family by my side. After 11 days got to go home.  Two months later started Chemo and radiation. Only did two dose of Chemo. Was in and out of hospital. Couldn’t tolerate the Bolus feeding. Had to be put on a feeding pump. Finally the vomiting stopped. I keep my spirits up. Didn’t want my family to think I was weak. Need to say I had great Doctors. Last year I moved to my home state. My Doctor are not as good as what I had. My ENT told me to go home and start eating. I tried to explain to him that my Doctors and the speech therapy said I would never eat or drink again but he wouldn’t listen. So I seen him twice and never went back. Next week I see a new ENT hopefully he has better manners. But for the last month I been having this stiffness and soreness to my right neck area all the way up to my ear. Also having muscle spasm to that side. Slight pain to touch area. My voice has been a little hoarse this last week. I haven’t done anything difference to make my neck feel stiff. I’m worried that maybe the cancer has come back. Haven’t mention it to my kids yet. They worry when I get try. Mention it in passing to my husband but he doesn’t want to talk about it says it’s nothing. But being a medical person I know it is not nothing. Something is not normal. Any suggestion out there? Would like to hear from you.

• Hello relta and welcome to our forum although I'm sorry for the reasons that bring you here.

It sounds like you have been and are still going through a lot, but I'm glad to hear your family seems to be there to support you when you need.

Hopefully, some of our member who can relate to your experience will come along shortly to chat with you and offer their support but until then if you feel like chatting with someone medically trained might help, our cancer nurses would be happy to talk to you. You can reach them on this phone number 0808 800 4040 (which is free of charge if you are calling from the UK), Monday - Friday between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Also, I'd like to wish you good luck for your appointment with the ENT next week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed you'll have a better experience this time around. And if you find a moment, come back and give us an update.

Wishing you all the best,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator