Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Tongue Biopsy

16 May 2018 11:04

Hi there,

i had a tongue biopsy done 2 days ago.. (today is my third day) to remove white patch on side of tongue. Can’t belive how painful it is. Could it be getting worse? I feel like the swelling isn’t going down and it’s just too painful to eat.. took me 3 goes to eat a tin of soup..and I just don’t feel like eating as it’s so sore.. Any suggestion? Thanks

Re: Tongue Biopsy

17 May 2018 09:08 in response to PA28MP

Hello,

Thanks for posting a question. I am sorry to learn about the discomfort that you have from the biopsy.

I must admit that I don't personally have much experience of tongue biopsies. But this is a vey sensitive organ with lots of nerve endings, so I think that some pain and swelling is inevitable.  However most of the patient information leaflets about tongue biopsies do not seem to say much about this and give the impression that the pain and discomfort settles down within a few days.

Having said this, there is a discussion about tongue cancer investigations   in the pre diagnosis and symptoms topic area of our forum. Although it is not very active at the moment (the last post was in March this year) you will notice that a couple of people do mention experiencing quite a lot of discomfort after the biopsy and they had difficulty eating.  It seems that it took about a week to two weeks for things to get better. So, I don't get the impression that your situation is unusual. But if you think that things are getting worse, do get back to the team who took the biopsy if you can or see your GP, as I suppose you do need to rule out infection.

I do hope that things improve soon. Do get back to us if you have any other questions. If you would like to telephone our freephone number is 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

All the best,

Jean