Tongue Biopsy

I've just had a tongue Biopsy this afternoon - would be so grateful for any tips on how long it takes to heal, how to cope with the wait for results. Had an ulcer that wouldn't heal on the side of my tongue, noticed by my dentist. I'm a supply teacher, so can't afford to take any time off as I won't get paid - but talking is quite challenging! Grateful thanks in advance for any advice. 

• Hi LouLaw and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully some of our members will be along soon to offer their tips for recovery but I hope this information I've found online will help you whilst you wait for your results.

We'll have our fingers crossed for good news LouLaw.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Dear Steph

That's really kind of you, thank you. I've read the article, which has some very sensible advice. Will try to keep busy! 

Thanks again, and very best wishes 

Louise

• Hi 

just reading your post and wondering 
    how did you get on ? Was it painful ? Did it take ages to heal ? 
    hope your results were ok 
    Am going to have one Monday and wondering what to expect 

Liz x

• Hi Liz

Try not to worry too much. I convinced myself it would be like a bad day at the dentist.

To be honest some find it worse than others. Its down to the Dr doing the biopsy`s skill.I had a junior Dr and she was amazingly good,she squirted a little of the anaesthestic around the area first I never felt a thing!

The same goes for afterwards. Rinse with warm salty or bicarb water often it speeds up healing.

Take care when tongue is numb afterwards when eating etc.

Good luck I hope all goes well for you. xx

• Hi clara56 

thank you for replying, 

I have a real fear of the dentist and it took me a while to build up to go then he told me I needed to be referred for oral surgery. 
    I went the hospital and the doctor said  she will cut the two lumps out and stitch it up

soon as she said stitch it up i started to panic, 

Worried also because  am tongue tied 

can you talk normal once it's done? 
    I have taken the week off work but not sure if I need to, 

• Hi Liz

Honestly Liz nobody was more paranoid about stitches than I used to be believe me.

You will be totally numb so you wont feel a thing.

There may be a bit of swelling for a day or two that affects speech a bit.

I ate soups puddings ice cream for a few days but was back to normal food in a week. A week later it was decided to biopsy palate so back to liquid diet. Palate cant be stitched so it was electro cautery honestly I preferred the stitches.

It is uncomfortable having your tongue held with gauze swab just make sure nurse holding your tongue is aware of your tongue tie situation,dont be afraid to let them know if too uncomfortable. Its all over in a few minutes. Concentrate on breathing through your nose and not your mouth Im sure you will do fine.

All my best wishes xx

• thanks so much for all the information appreciate it . i feel abit better now after hearing your words

I will definitely mention to the nurse about being tongue tied. 
    I think I might try explain to my son I might sound abit funny for a few days. He is nearly 6 but has autism so I think he would get a nark on if I spoke different lol likes everything the same. 

hope your ok now 

xx

• Hi Liz

I wasnt online yesterday as I had eyedrops in and couldnt see to write.

I am glad you are feeling a wee bit less anxious.

I worked with autistic children and young adults for years so I understand your concern about your son and your speech. Hopefully he will be fine and understand mummy has a sore mouth.

Before you have biopsy buy some dispersable solpadiene or similar you will need something, kids paracetamol and ibuprofen  in liquid form works well too.

I had partial tongue removed and a fair bit of oral tissue right back to tonsil pillar plus neck dissection.I dreaded the surgery but got over it quite well. I think my determination to get back to eating normal food helped. Warm salty rinses sooth and help speed up healing I cant recommend that enough.

I hope you have a good outcome from your biopsy keep in touch let us know how you get on. xx

• Hi 

oh god sounds like you have been through it, 
    such a strong person  :) 

hope your eyes are ok 

I will definitely get some solpadiene Incase I need it 

I have two lumps and they are taking them both off at once

do they actually just cut them out ? Sounds a stupid things to ask but they are right at the back on the side and wondering how they actually get them off? The doctors didn't say much apart from no point in just taking a little biopsy - we will just take them off and pop some stitches in. She said she didn't know what they are and the only way to know is to take them off  

now I wish I wouldn of asked more questions but I was a bag of nerves because I didn't expect to see a dentist chair  in the hospital haha 

By the way - working with people with additional needs  that's so amazing and you deserve praise for that and  so does anyone who works  to  help  make the lives of people with additional needs  and their families easier. Takes  Someone special And they are hard to come by 

X

• Hi

Not a stupid question at all. We all do same thing oh I shouldve asked about that or sometimes you dont remember a thing theyve told you.

There is two methods for oral biopsy one is a punch biopsy which takes out a core of tissue the other is scalpel where they cut out a small area of tissue. It needs to be of a size that the labs can work with so removing the two lumps is making sure they get enough to sample. Sounds like yours will be scalpel. Do remember you will be totally numb so you wont feel a thing :-)

Sometimes a rough tooth can cause lumps on the tongue or inside of cheek. Its always worth getting things checked out though and 90 out of 100 are benign causes. A plus point that she is removing them completely means you wont have to repeat the procedure.

When my surgeon spoke to me after operation she said unfortunatly we had to go a bit further than was first thought(to get clear margins). When I was able to look in my mouth I was quite shocked just how far they went it looked awful. But we recover and get well again.

So keep your nerves in check and remember its over pretty quick. The Drs do this all day every day and are very quick at their job.

You will have been in Maxillo Facial clinic they do complex oral/ facial work hence the dentist chair lol

Take care and keep busy to take your mind off things xx