Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Tongue biopsy

6 Dec 2017 20:43

hi everyone

i had a tongue biopsy done on Sunday (3 days ago) as my dentist found an opaque lump under my tongue and i was referred to an oral surgeon for an immediate biopsy. I am now in so much pain. I have five stitches and Lots of ulcers that are around the wound. I can barely speak and eating hurts so much. My cheeks keeps twitching, ear aches and even my teeth hurt. I have to wait six weeks for the results which is over Xmas. I'm so frightened. I'm a single mum with two teenagers and I'm 39. I smoked for years but haven't for at least two years.

painkillers aren't helping and I'm still working full time as a nursery nurse while in lota of pain. I don't want to worry my kids but needn't advice x

Re: Tongue biopsy

8 Dec 2017 22:20 in response to Han39

Welcome to the forum Han although I'm sorry to read about the circumstances under which you are posting.

I know you're scared but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I hope they don't mind me mentioning them but @Vatch ‍, @Space_1999 ‍ and more recently @2302jules57 ‍, @HWB ‍, @Ruthie23 ‍ and @lorrainejay ‍ have all had tongue biopsies so will know what you're going through right now and will hopefully pop by when they can to offer their support and advice.

I know the weekend is just beginning now but I also wanted to give you our cancer nurses telephone number in case you wanted to call them next week for any information and advice regarding your biopsy. Their number is 0808 800 4040 and are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope this helps and that the pain starts to go away soon.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator