Tired

Hi I had a lump cut out of my breast and two weeks of radiotherapy in october 18. I am finding everything an effort and am tired all the time. How long is this expected to last.?

• I found the recovery long and hard. It was a good six months before I felt human again. 

• Hi there ...

I think everyone different due to age and level of fitness ... but I found it a long trying road of thinking everything would go back to pre cancer ... it can fustrated you and make you feel emotionally drained too .. so I stoppedfighting those feelings .. said life will never be quite the same .. and accepted the new "normal" and know even after 20 months my energy can dissapear in seconds ... but I listen to my body .. rest then start again when feel more mobile ...

Your body will tell you what it can manage .. it's good to exercise gently ... but sometimes for however long ... listen to what it's telling you .. do things spread out , not all in one go ... realise your getting over a trauma to your body ... and be kind to yourself ... Chrissie x

• Hi,

Like the others have said it seems to take a while!  How are you sleeping?

I am in between things having had chemo last year, surgery in January and with radiotherapy due in March so exept it will go on for a while more, must admit though that didn't expect tirdness and feeling cold to be such bad side effects!

Like Chrissie said listen to your body!  Try taking it gently but do exercise / be active if you feel able :)  My best tip is stopping for 20 mins (or more if you need to) then getting up again whether it is to do housework, go for a walk or see friends.  Last year I had weeks where life was in 20 mins doing, 20 mins rest ... it does work when you are shattered, though not always practial when the rest of life gets in the way.

Alison

• Just listen to your body, it knows what it needs, don't listen to anyone who tells you, "come on, do something, you'll feel better",  trust me you won't, I had 5 weeks of radiotherapy with chemo, that was 2.5 years ago and I'm still having to consider fatigue when making plans, a night out wipes me out the next day but it's improving, but everyone is different and the lasting effects can be different, listen to your body x