Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help. If you have symptoms of cancer contact your doctor.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

2 Oct 2018 20:54

Hi Everyone, 

I went to the doctors with a pulled neck muscle around 3 months ago and whilst she was examining me she found 2 swollen lymph nodes which she wanted checking out so I was referred for an ultra sound scan. Whilst having my scan they found a small nodule on my thyroid but was reassured that it looked fine but he would be mentioning it on my report. I was then referred to ent by my gp and the consultant there had a good look at my throat etc and seemed unconcerned but wanted the thyroid consultant to look at it. When I got to the thyroid consultant he seemed very concerned  and told me the nodule looked “abnormal” and was sent straight for a biopsy! After a a scary 2 weeks my results have come back as inconclusive and I have been given the option of another biopsy or to have it removed. Forgot to mention that my thyroid is also slightly over active and I have an appt with endricology in Nov. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? My anxiety is through the roof 

 

Emma

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

3 Oct 2018 14:47 in response to Emmalou1979

Hi Emma,

I am in a very similar position at the moment however I am waiting for my biopsy results to come back. I had the biopsy done last Monday along with a CT scan. Having spoken to my consultants secretary, she’s advised that my CT results are back however the biopsy results are still with the lab (even though my radiologist at the time told me they’d be back within 4 days). They won’t tell me my CT results until I get my biopsy back so the consultant can paint a full picture which is understandable. 

I have lumps on both sides of my thyroid, the right coming in at 4mm. My consultant has told me he’s pretty certain I’ll need surgery in the near future but I’m not sure if they’ll remove the whole thyroid or not yet.

I have been told that it could be thyroid cancer from one doctor and the next isn’t so sure - so I’m really unsure what I am supposed to think - just trying to stay positive and block it out but I still haven’t got a results appointment booked which is frustrating!! I was told I must cancel a two week holiday for these tests and it’s been 8 weeks since my initial two week urgent referral. 

I feel frustrated for you that after a long two week wait your results have come back as inconclusive and you’re now having to weigh up the pros and cons of having surgery or opting for another biopsy. Hopefully you’ll figure it out and stay positive (easier said than done - I know!) 

 

xx 

 

 

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

3 Oct 2018 20:13 in response to RLJ0304

Hi, i had a large nodule last year and my results came back as negative however due to the size I had half of my thyroid removed (it was approx 5cm but the operation was optional). Once removed over a year later they sent it to histology and today I was officially told that I have cancer. However it’s the best of bad news as the one I have is the most common which is easily and quickly curable and it is contained. Looks like I’ll need the remainder of my thyroid removed and possible radiaiodine treatment but this is being confirmed tomorrow when I go back. 

Im always available if you want to message me with any questions. It appears the waiting for results is the worst! I had to wait a month! X

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

4 Oct 2018 08:32 in response to Lucyb

Ah sorry to hear the news but it sounds like you are looking at it from a positive aspect which is good! Might sound like a weird question but do you feel a sense of relief now they’ve got to the bottom of it? That’s why I’m so desperate to hear my results as I just want to know the next steps whether it be surgery or whatever else as at the minute I feel like I’ve got no control over the situation whilst waiting for results!! 

Thank you so much and same to you! Sometimes it’s easier to talk to strangers than it is family as I worry more about worrying them than I do about this whole thing! 

Hope you get on ok today with finding out next steps! Xxx 

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

4 Oct 2018 08:57 in response to RLJ0304

Yes I was extremely relieved when I found out the news, and if you do have to have the operation as a precaution (even if it comes back non cancerous) then it’s really not bad at all x

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

4 Oct 2018 12:46 in response to Lucyb

Thank you for your replies...

I’m so anxious about the whole thing. I’m now waiting to hear back from the nurse so she can explain what the inconclusive result actually means as I have no idea. 

RLJ0304 I hope you get your results soon 

Emma 

xxx

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

5 Oct 2018 13:42 in response to Emmalou1979

Hey Emma ! I called ENT today and they’ve told me my appointment has been requested but I still don’t have a date. Apparently it’s a “6 week follow up” from the date of my scan and biopsy so I may have to wait a month as well... the consultants secretary is back in on Monday so I’ll chase up then, wish they could say something over the phone! My biopsy could well be with the lab still...! 

 

Have you heard from the nurse yet? I can’t imagine how you must be feeling now but I’m always hear to chat to if you want too! Xxx

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

5 Oct 2018 14:42 in response to Emmalou1979

Hi Emmalou,

I've had a lobectomy for papillary thyroid cancer two and a half weeks ago. I'm back at work, no problems.

It really isn't anything to be concerned about and in fact for small, contained papillary carcinomas they are actually thinking of stopping calling it 'cancer'. My nodule was 1.8cm.

What I'm saying is that even if cancerous, in the majority of cases, thyroid cancer is easily treated and almost always curable.

If you do have only the one nodule and below 4cm in size the current guidelines are that only that lobe of the thyroid is removed, not the full gland. From research the majority of ongoing issues relate to the full removal of the gland when uneccessary leaving the patient dependent upon hormone replacement for life. If your surgeon ever did recommend full removal please raiswe this point.

I had Hodgkins lymphoma 11 years ago and this was a breeze compared to that! Happy (Hopefully).

All the best.

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

6 Oct 2018 19:01 in response to RLJ0304

Hi! 

6 weeks is a long time to worrying about your results! Hopefully if you speak to them on Monday they might be able to push it forward! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

My nurse called on Friday and explained my inconclusive results in plain English and I’ve decided to go ahead and have surgery. Just waiting for an appt now to see my consultant. 

Again thanks for the reply 

Take care

Emma xx

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

10 Oct 2018 20:07 in response to Emmalou1979

Hey Emma! How are things? I have my results appointment at the beginning of next week! 3 weeks after my initial biopsy and CT scan so thankfully I’m not waiting much longer; will keep you updated! Xx 

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

16 Oct 2018 14:58 in response to Emmalou1979

Hi Emma,

Oddly enough I have just logged on looking for support with a very similar situation.  I am still in the waiting zone unfortunately and its driving me nuts today, I cant concentrate.

I had an accidental thyroid discovery after they did an ultrasound to inspect a lump in my neck gland on one side.  It was graded as looking suspicious via ultrasound and they did an FNA now nearly three weeks ago.  I have called them a couple of times and today I have been given an appointment to discuss with a consultant.  This worries me because in my head if it was clear perhaps they would just send a letter?

Today I am very frustrated because of knowing I have to wait another 2 weeks (I found the original lumps in January) and that the consultant wants to discuss the findings with me.  I got quite upset at work but managed to escape for a walk before anyone noticed.  My logical brain is trying to say - dont read into the appointment and realistically if it was serious surely I would have had a quicker appointment.  But I know this is not neccessarily an indicator.

Any tips for the waiting?  I seem to have a flare up of being angry/ anxious/ stressed each time I get a new appointment through but then I seem to within a couple of weeks only have it at the back of my mind.  So right now I am in that stressed/ anxious cant sit still mode!

I am finding it quite hard to find support in the sense that I dont want to tell my family as to not worry them and friends my age dont really seem to understand or want to talk about it.  So I have kept it only to myself and a couple of people.  People get a bit awkward talking about these things, which is understandable I guess.

I hope your surgery goes well.

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

16 Oct 2018 15:18 in response to LolaL

Hi Lola, 

I had my result appointment today after waiting 3 weeks since my FNA and CT scan so I can fully understand how nervous you must be feeling right now. I was the exact same as you, I was able to block it out right up until I had a new appointment come through.

My results confirm that I have multiple nodules around/on thyroid gland and although the FNA came back as “normal” they still can’t 100% tell me that it’s not cancer as there is one nodule in particular which has shown an increase in blood flow on every scan they’ve done which is causing concern and it’s luck of the draw as to which nodule the radiologist chose to take the cell from.  I’ve basically been told that I need surgery so they can determine once and for all whether I have a cancer or not and if so, the rest of my thyroid is getting removed. The consultant has reassured me that it’s unlikely to be cancer but the risk is still there. I feel relieved that there is a plan in place to get this sorted however it’s also a bit annoying that I don’t have a definite answer of what it is yet!

Always here to talk if you need to - sometimes it’s easier venting to a stranger and somebody that’s going through the same xxxx 

 

 

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

29 Oct 2018 09:52 in response to RLJ0304

Hi RLJ0304,

I hope you are well.  Have they given you a waiting time or date for you operation?  This not knowing seems to be very difficult.

 

Hi Emma,

How are you doing?  Have you been given an appointment for your surgery?  I hope all is well.

 

I have my appointment today with the consultant to discuss the results.  I am nervous but also relieved that the date has now come where I might get some answers, seems like such a long time since I was told that I might have cancer.  I have a busy week so trying to concentrate on that rather than the appointment.  Its hard to maintain focus today.

xxx

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

29 Oct 2018 20:09 in response to LolaL

Hey! I had my pre operation assessment last Friday - I am on the urgent list so I imagine I’ll receive a date for surgery anytime now. I’m kind of hoping it’ll be in January so I can enjoy Christmas as they’ve said the recovery can take up to 3 weeks, but they can’t promise me anything! How did your results go? Xxxx

Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

2 Nov 2018 20:02 in response to Lucyb

Hi , I’m looking for advice . I had a double biopsy on my thyroid 27 th August . Nodules on both sides . I went back for my results 17 th September  and was told the nodule on right was benign ( relief) but the ones on left were inconclusive . Now I’ve waited for the last 6 and a 1/2 weeks to see what they propose doing . They were having a meeting to decide , which I wasn’t asked to attend . My doctor says I should have operation as something def wrong with nodules on left , also my sister had her thyroid removed 6 months ago for cancer . What should I do