Thyroid nodule

Hello I'm new to this and just wanted to see if anyone is in the boat as me . I am 40 yrs of age and have 5 children 3 big boys and 2 smallies one girl and one boy . I found a lump back in June and went straight to doc who referred me for ultrasound after some messing around I eventually got app in aug . Lump was 5.6cm by 3.6cm . I was referred on to have urgent fna. Results of biopsy came back as thy 3f . I had nodule removed and left lobe of thyroid 2 wks ago today and nodule had grown to 7cm . I am now waiting on results to see if it's cancer and if I need more surgery . So anxious as there's still no results back it's in progress still so am worried if it is cancer as it's taking so long . Would love to hear from anyone who's had something similar . Thanks in advance

• I had thyroid cancer two years ago. The good news is that thyroid cancer progresses slowly - I had it at least 5 years before I was diagnosed - so even if you DO have it, the delay is unlikely to cause a serious problem. When I was diagnosed, the doctor said it wouldn't do any harm in the immediate future.

• Thank you for reply ... such a worrying time . It's the not knowing nd waiting is the worst . Hopefully I'll have results soon nd can move forward whatever the outcome . 

• It's definitely scary, but you've already had half your thyroid out. If it does turn out to be cancerous (and it's quite likely it won't), then most likely, you just get the other half out. Another operation is definitely not the outcome you want but it probably won't be any worse than the first. If your entire thyroid is removed, you will have to take medication to replace it, but for me, that hasn't been a big deal. It can cause problems for some people, but there is no reason to believe you will be in that group.

• Hello Sonj, and thank you for contacting us.

I am so sorry that you are going through this, it must be a difficult time for you and your family.

While I'm afraid we are not going to be able to tell you the results do remember that anyone's experience on the forum is going to be their own, and could cause unnecessary worry. Results can often take a few weeks to come through as the cells need to be seen in the laboratory and looked at properly by the pathologist. They are then reported on and sent back to the team. 

The anxiety of waiting for these results, the same with any appointment or scan, is always the hardest bit. Trying to keep yourself occupied so your brain is distracted, is the only way of helping the time to go quicker. Taking each day as it comes, and staying busy will help. 

Take care, and if you do need to talk anything through you may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Sarah.

• Thank you so much , I really appreciate information you have me . The waiting is definitely the hardest .. on the up side iv got most of my house painted to keep me busy hopefully I'll get results nxt wk and can deal with whatever the outcome is . Thanks again really appreciate your message . 

• Hi Sonj

How did you get on? Any results yet? I had half my thyroid removed on 1st of Nov. I had a cyst they had originally said was benign back in June removed. Basically it  got bigger i pushed for another scan and biopsy to be told it was now a bit suspicious so they removed it. 5 weeks on my results still aren't back. I feel in total limbo!  I'm 33 with a 4, 2 and 6month old x

• Hello I'm sorry to hear your going through this too .... it's very hard to proces and the waiting is the worst . Unfortunately goy my results and was in cork on Friday to see my consultant . I have stage 2 papillary thyroid cancer so there gonna go back in and take full thyroid after Xmas and then I will have radiotherapy iodine 6 to 8 wks after .... they said it's one of the most curable so at least that's a positive still very hard to process it all ... if I can help in any way just let me know . I hope you get ur results soon .... mine took just over the 2 wks to get biopsy results i plaqued them constantly just wanted answers. 

• Hello Charlotte778

Thought I would jump on and say i'm sorry to hear you recently had surgery and are still awaiting the biopsy results. I appreciate this must be a worrying and unsettling time for you.

If you haven't already, do call up the hospital or your GP to find out when you expect to hear something.

Try not to over think things too much until you have all the information but I hope you know more soon.

Take care

Naomi

• Sorry to hear you got bad news, Sonj. Feel free to message me or ask here if there is anything you want to know about my experience.

• Hi Sonj

I'm sorry to hear you found out you do have cancer and you need to have more treatment in the new year.

Any diagnosis is difficult to take in and process at times so do talk to people around you about how you are feeling and ask for support if you need it.

Try and keep yourself busy in the next few weeks whilst you wait and I hope everything goes well for you.

Do get back to the nurses if you need to or if you ever want to talk on the phone our number is 0808 800 4040 and we're here Mon-Fri 9-5.

All the best

Naomi