Thyroid cancer

hi I just found out yesterday that I have thyroid cancer. Ian really not sure which way to go. The two options are surgery or to monitor it, 3 monthly checks. Has anyone else had this and if so which option did you take? When the the consultant was going through options he seemed to give more negatives for the surgery.

thanks

• That has been mentioned but so far as j know at the minute that is just when I go for the op. 

• Are there downsides to having surgery

• Hi,

I had an FNA which was diagnosed as a thy3f ( not visible cancer cells but abnormal and 1 in 4 chance of cancer) I opted to have a partial thyroidectomy and am 5 days post surgery. I feel fine after the surgery, just have a stiff neck but really not much pain or side effects at all. I am having two weeks off work and driving to recover but really did not find the surgery a painful or difficult surgery to recover from. 
    I find out my definitive diagnosis in 3 weeks and if it is cancerous will be going down the route of radioactive iodine treatment. 
    hope this helps, good luck 

• Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking what you ended up doing? 
    I have been given the same choice with more negatives for more surgery and I'm really struggling with deciding what to do x

• Hi Fin, 

what did you decide in the end? I also got a Thy3f biopsy result. I've chosen surgery but Covid has caused delays. Hoping it won't be too long. 

S x

• Hi Shazz,

I decided to watch and wait. Hopefully it will be the right choice! I will be closely monitored so hopefully it won't be too worrying. 
    did they give you any indication of how long it will be? 
    xx

• Hi otismum, 

I am so sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I decided to watch and wait. I felt the further surgery had more negatives but I guess time will tell. 
     Have you already made your decision? 

xx

• Hey, 

I'm glad you're being closely monitored - sadly I've sort of just been left. Was originally told the wait would be around 2 months but that was 5 months ago. I've had no communication from the hospital so I'm chasing now and have my GP doing the same. 
    Ive managed to get a phone consultation for the 4th Sept. At that point it will have been 6 months so I might suggest a repeat biopsy and US if they're not able to do the surgery. At the moment it feels like I was offered two choices for care and given neither.. though totally understand we have a pandemic situation so I'm trying to be mindful of that. 

S x

• Surely they should have done something by now!! I was also kept waiting until Covid calmed down but as soon as it did I was straight in for surgery. You should definitely be chasing it up, I hope you get somewhere from your telephone appointment. 
    the one positive thing I would say is I noticed my lump sept/Oct last year (I thought I just had a swollen gland and didn't go to the doctors until February) and had it removed at the end of June and it hadn't spread xx