Third recurrence of sarcoma at 23

Hi everyone. Been reading others' experiences on here the last few days, and thought it might be cathartic to write my own.

I've been through treatment and full remission twice now, starting aged 17 with a cardiac sarcoma - which recurred just under 3 years ago. Had all the treatment again, chemotherapy, surgery, radiotherapy and thankfully came out the other side both times in full remission.

Last week I discovered a lump on my right thigh, and my oncologist was able to get me in for an urgent ultrasound - for which I got the result today, just over a week since I found the lump. They're fairly certain it's sarcoma again, and not long after the phone call I found another lump on my lower back. I'm absolutely terrified at the prospect of facing treatment for a third time, and especially at not knowing the full extent of the sarcoma. Is it just in my leg, or is it in my back too? And what about the original site? I'm so scared of not having the luck I've had with previous rounds of treatment. There's so much I want to do in life (see the world etc) which I've been desperate to do during lockdown, and I hate the idea of my parents watching me go through this again.

I've got an MRI on my leg tomorrow, followed by a PET in 2 days time. My oncologist plans on discussing the results by the end of the week with the multidisciplinary team, and I'm so worried about what the PET will uncover. I'm holding on to the hope that they'll offer surgery to remove the recurrence soon.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has ways of coping with this awful dread of what will come next, and holding on to the hope that it can be treated. I'm sure the hope got me through the last two rounds of treatment, and I need it again more than ever. 

• I’m so sorry, you have already been through so much! But my god you sound so incredibly strong! I apologise I don’t have any words except...I am hoping for you too and praying that you get to travel the world and visit some really beautiful luxurious destinations (Cuba is stunning!) Will be thinking of you towards the end of the week 

• Thank you, really appreciate your response. Cuba would definitely be fun when this is all over :happy:

• Your welcome, the beaches are exactly as you see in pictures (pristine white sand & crystal clear water) don’t wear jewellery in there tho as it attracts barracuda! The plans I currently have are to get a hand carved bench installed at mine and my partners favourite spot (I lost him just under a year ago) and then I am going to train for a hgv licence (crazy right!?) but it’s a job we both planned on doing (he done it for nhs) so this will be in his memory :happy:  

• Hi, I`m so sorry you are going through this, and at such a young age, but you sound like a real fighter and although this is always tough and very scarey, you know what they say "3rd time lucky" ...so youve beaten this twice and you can again....stay strong, stay positive and remember you are never alone in this, so many are going through these things and supporting oneanother....this is a wonderful forum with lots of lovely people who are here to chat if you want to..feel free to anytime ......i wish you only the best and send you virtual strength and positive vibes for you, and your parents  xxxx.

• Hi,

Sorry to hear the news bwnz. However I'm very hopeful for you as you're clearly a fighter by beating cancer twice. Make sure to speak to people about it to ease your mind and relieve the stress that comes with the diagnosis. Keep yourself busy and doing the stuff you love even if it is difficult atm. Your parents main focus will be on supporting you through the process not worrying. My mum has just beat breast cancer at the end of last year and as a family member your main focus is to support.

I'll be praying for you, make sure your heads up and keep going.