The waiting is horrible

Hi all, 

I’m new. I’m 32 and yesterday went to the breast clinic to check out a large lump on my breast. They have done a biopsy and my consultant thinks 50/50 chance of breast cancer due to the lumps uneven edges. 

I’m due to go back on Tuesday for my results. 

I’m so scared, I’m starting to get my head round that I’ll probably be diagnosed with breast cancer but I’m worrying about whether the cancer hasn’t spread. 

Im having burning and pain in my neck as well as pains in my abdomen and I’m worrying myself sick that the cancer is at a late stage. 

I don’t know what I want any of you to say but I have been reading some of the threads and found comfort in some of the posts. 

I have two young children and it’s  all I can think about. 

•  

Hi Hippiechickham,

I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer worries. The fact that your consultant says that there's a 50/50 chance of breast cancer should be reassuring that it is not at a late stage. If it were, he would have probably told you that he was fairly certain that it is breast cancer.

Waiting on test results is always a scary time during which we nearly all manage to convince ourselves that we are at a late stage and expect the worst.

I have lost my mum to breast cancer and, have had 2 bouts myself in the past 9 years. The one thing that struck me is the difference in the surgery, treatment and aftercare that I have had and, that which my mum experienced 20 years ago. There is only 10 years between out treatments, yet great strides have been made in all of these areas, thanks to our friends at Cancer Research and elsewhere and, this work continues to be done.

Fortunately, for those of us who are mums, many people now live with breast cancer, whereas in the past, they died with it.

I am not a doctor, but according to my consultant, there isn't usually any pain associated with a breast cancer diagnosis, but the pains you are having elsewhere may be associated with your anxiety.

You are fortunate to be getting your results so quickly. Most people have to wait 1-2 weeks for their results.

I hope that all goes well for you tomorrow. Do please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thank you so much for your lovely reply xx

• I was diagnosed with breast cancer and I was fetrified but the support I got of my surgeon was out standing nothing wasn’t to mutch trouble and the care of the nurses we’re brilliant it is very very scared one side of her brain thinks you have cancer the other says no  my heart goes out to you 

• Hi Hippiechickhan,

I just saw your other post. I'm so sorry they found the lump to be suspicious. I have read posts where ladies were told straight away that it's most likely cancer. So 50/50 gives a lot of hope that it isn't. 

The pains that you are having could be due to stress and tense muscles or from lack of sleep. 

How old are your children? Mine are 6 months and 3.5 years. The time does fly when you have little people to look after and Tuesday will come before you know it.

Keep us posted xx

• I just wanted to let you know that my results have come back clear. 

It was inflammation and blocked ducts so nothing sinister

I have really found this forum useful and I appreciate all the people that have taken the time to reply. If this week has taught me anything it’s to appreciate life and every day we are here. 

Thank you for your encouraging words and you were right, I was obviously extremely anxious hence the aches and pains. 

My my heart goes out to all of you fighting this horrible disease xxx

p.s my kids are 3.5 years and 3 months so very similar to you Anita. I’ll be giving them extra special cuddles tonight xx

•  

Hi Hippiechicken,

This is really great news.

Hopefully you can now return to your family and appreciate just how lucky you are. Your kids are at a great age, so enjoy the time you have with them - they grow up so quickly.

Please don't forget to check your breast on a regular basis. This should ensure that, if you are unlucky enough to have bother again, you catch it early on. That having been said, I sincerely hope that you will never be bothered again.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx