Terrified I have cervical cancer

Can I please get some re assurance I'm absolutely terrified, I've been having pelvic pain which I thought was a uti so went to the doctor, I hadn't had a smear for 13 years so had that done while I was there, she noticed something abnormal on my cervix and referred me to coloscopy straight away. The smear results have come back clear with no hpv virus, she looked at whatever it was and told me it's treatable, the pelvic pain is worrying me to death and I have had slight spotting, please can someone re assure me that this is not cancer and if it is the pelvic pain is not a sign that it has spread, I have my coloscopy tomorrow 

• Hello there

I am sorry to hear about the symptoms you have and appreciate needing to go to colposcopy must be a worry but try not to over think things too much for now.

Unfortunately no one on the forum can diagnose you or tell you what the matter is. However what I can say is that most symptoms have a simple and non serious reason rather than a cancer but it is best to get these things checked out to be sure.

It is reassuring that your cervical screening came back clear and also that the nurse thinks whatever she can see on the cervix can be easily treated. When someone takes the cervical screening sample they normally are able to see the cervix  quite well and how healthy it looks. If they see something unusual like an area that is red or inflamed such as an ectropian or a polyp ( benign growth that isn't cancer) they will refer to colposcopy for a closer look. Things like this can sometimes cause symptoms such as spotting or bleeding and pelvic pain so as I said hopefully they'll be a straightforward answer to all of this.

Try and keep yourself busy and your mind off of this now until you are seen tomorrow as this will help.

I hope the appointment goes well. The colposcopist will talk through everything they are doing and hopefully can put your mind at ease. If they need to carry out further tests they will also explain this to you. 

Do get back in touch if you have further questions or you are welcome to call our helpline on 0808 800 4040, Mon-Fri 9-5.

Take care

Naomi