Terrified

I have been suffering from a bad stomach for years normal motions one day, watery the next but just put this down to either IBS (which I haven't been diagnosed with) or a reaction to food some of which I know I do not handle well.

I have had the occasional issue with a little blood in my stools in the past but put this down to piles, however earlier this week my bottom began to bleed more heavily and it was coming from a lump in my anus, I had previously felt this lump but it had never bled before.

Petrified I made an appointment at the dotors who has referred to the hospital for further tests and I am now fearing the worst.

I have lost a little weight although my job is quite stressful at the moment and I am putting in long hours so this could have an impact, I don't actually feel unwell at the moment and the anal bleeding has completely stopped no blood in my recent bowel movements and the lump although still there seems to have gone down a bit.

I have no history of cancer in my immediate family but this is tearing me to bits and I really just feel like having nothing done as no news is good news so to speak although I know this is irrational!

I even went church today and I am not a chuch goer for some devine help!

If I haven't got cancer (which I so hope I don't) I think I may go completely insane with worry, this is horrible and bless everyone who has gone through this!

If I come out the otherside I think my attitude to life will change no doubt.

Thank you for your time in reading my post which probably is complete nonsense!

• I am in the position where my closest friend will find out tomorrow which stage if breast cancer she has. I understand you’re reaction, I’m the same.

I am thinking about you.

• Thank you Ginny for your kind words and taking the trouble to reply to my post.

I hope that all goes as well as expected with your friend and that there is a positive outcome and the prognosis is good!.

• I hope it's good news for you, not everything worrying means cancer. And cancer isn't the worst possible news either. 

Yes it is life changing, enjoy your life, you never know what's around the corner...:)

Good luck!

• Thank you Honey for your wishes and your philosohical thoughts.

Through the dark times of the what if's you do focus on the worst and this is a real tendancy of mine to just shut myself away with feelings of impending doom, but you are right and I need to enjoy life and  I must try to not let this impact on myself, my family and friends!

• No philisophical at all, it's true we don't ever know what's around the corner. 4 weeks ago we were planning to travel the world, today we're planning how to get through chemo...!

My husband tends to think of the worst case scenario too, it doesn't come naturally to him to be positive. Maybe some distraction would be helpful then? The waiting is always the worst part but remember you'll get through it whatever it is because what other option do you have.

Good luck!